The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   And now for something completely different... (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193010)

CatSoup 10-05-2012 05:43 PM

And now for something completely different...

1 Attachment(s)
(if you read that with an English accent, you're awesome)...
In progress; Miyazaki's Forest, in honor of the beautiful nature inspired films of Hayao Miyazaki.
The "trees" will have a moss at the top, I'm thinking Willow Moss, but if you have a better moss to use let me know. I've never used any before. I am going to fill in the back line with val nana *correction:this is giant hairgrass*. I am also working on figuring out how to create the white paper of the shrine rope around the largest "tree" to recreate the camphor tree in Totoro. The archways will also be covered with a moss to recreate the archway of bushes that Mei runs through. The odd piece of driftwood to the right reminds me of a dragon, like the one in Spirited Away. The chert stone represents the cliffs where the wolf pack sleep in Princess Mononoke. I need lots more plants and a couple more "trees", but I like the way it's looking so far. Sorry for the lame pic. I'll get some better ones when I get a little more done. What do you think?

Attachment 54849

Unkillable Cat 10-05-2012 05:47 PM

if anyone needs, I am avilbale to read this in said English accent, North Yorkshire variant.

CatSoup 10-05-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat (Post 2033574)
if anyone needs, I am avilbale to read this in said English accent, North Yorkshire variant.

Haha =^_^=

Btw, any suggestions you guys have are welcome. I am VERY new to aquascaping.

stevenjohn21 10-05-2012 05:55 PM

Ha ! I have an English accent and still put on a "proper" English accent to say that LOL

Monty Python...FTW !

Curt_914 10-05-2012 05:58 PM

Um I'm glad we are all nerds. That brightend up my morning!! I love Python

Curt

CatSoup 10-05-2012 06:00 PM

You guys rock! LOL

Any Miyazaki fans though?

ramen lover 10-05-2012 07:12 PM

nice looking scape. i like that big log on the back left.

Unkillable Cat 10-05-2012 08:09 PM

Sorry for not giving much feedback earlier, was on th late shift at work and kept getting interupted. For moss I've found Christmas moss gives a fuller look for trees without getting tall, but if your going for a willowy look then the willow moss will be (obviously) a good choice.

It really is a beautiful tank though, and excellent if your new to the hobby!

CatSoup 10-06-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat (Post 2033742)
Sorry for not giving much feedback earlier, was on th late shift at work and kept getting interupted. For moss I've found Christmas moss gives a fuller look for trees without getting tall, but if your going for a willowy look then the willow moss will be (obviously) a good choice.

It really is a beautiful tank though, and excellent if your new to the hobby!

Thanks! I may use Christmas moss on the archway then. :)

Bruce_S 10-07-2012 02:16 AM

Of _course_ I read that in an English accent, LOL!

I've only been able to watch bits and pieces of Miazaki's films (though I've certainly enjoyed the pieces and bits!) but I think a tank dedicated to his work is a capitol idea. (Blyxa japonica, lol?) Not much concrete advice I can offer, but plenty of encouragement!

~Bruce (Who saw a photograph of an amazing Totoro futon the other day . . . )

CatSoup 10-07-2012 09:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some updates

Attachment 54975

Mei's archway
Attachment 54974

Mononoke cliffs
Attachment 54973

CatSoup 10-07-2012 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Camphor tree
(and a photobomb by my sweeties)

Attachment 54976

CatSoup 10-08-2012 03:50 AM

All of these branches are from the same Sycamore tree. Some have just been submersed longer than the others. Hopefully they will all mach soon.

Brian041 10-11-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatSoup (Post 2033575)
Haha =^_^=

Btw, any suggestions you guys have are welcome. I am VERY new to aquascaping.

Only thing I can think of is work on depth, such as trying to slope the substrate and scape a bit. Feels a bit flat. But that just depends on how artsy-fartsy you want to get. Still looks great though.

CatSoup 10-11-2012 02:05 PM

Thanks! I just got in another bag of eco complete. I'll add some of it today.