The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Pea Puffer (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192824)

LovelyChaotic 10-03-2012 11:14 PM

Pea Puffer

So, I have been planning to get a pea puffer for my 10 gallon with plants, (swords, java fern, crypts) and I noticed that my LFS has them in brackish water, (1.005). I have known pea puffers to be specifically freshwater, and when I asked about it, they said that theirs are not freshwater, and that there are some from india that are freshwater. I am so confused. Is there a breed of Pea Puffer (aka Dwarf Puffer) that is specifically brackish? I don't understand how they would have a brackish specific pea puffer, unless they cultivated it themselves. I can't go putting plants in brackish water ): So, is this all BS or what?

jflng 10-03-2012 11:36 PM

You are correct. They are freshwater only. Acclimate them very slowly if you get them. Are you 100% sure they're pea puffers?

chunkychun 10-04-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovelyChaotic (Post 2031526)
So, I have been planning to get a pea puffer for my 10 gallon with plants, (swords, java fern, crypts) and I noticed that my LFS has them in brackish water, (1.005). I have known pea puffers to be specifically freshwater, and when I asked about it, they said that theirs are not freshwater, and that there are some from india that are freshwater. I am so confused. Is there a breed of Pea Puffer (aka Dwarf Puffer) that is specifically brackish? I don't understand how they would have a brackish specific pea puffer, unless they cultivated it themselves. I can't go putting plants in brackish water ): So, is this all BS or what?

Carinotetraodon travancoricus are freshwater for sure. There are lots of puffers but dwarf puffers are freshwater. I bet they have something different. My dwarfs are really small like dime size.

LovelyChaotic 10-04-2012 01:56 AM

They are definitely pea puffers. Only about the size of half of my pinky nail. They sell spotted puffers as well, and those are roughly the size of a quarter. I just don't even know why they believe their puffers are different than the dwarf/pea puffers the rest of the world knows. :mad:

California 10-06-2012 06:33 AM

Uh, this is simple. If you know the species can survive the freshwater, then convert it from the brackish and use lots of time to do so.

LovelyChaotic 10-06-2012 07:29 PM

Uh, yeah that wasn't my problem, I was trying to figure out if my LFS was off their rocker.

I went back to ask another employee, the owner knows they are freshwater he just hasn't acclimated them back because he buys them from someone who keeps them in brackish water. So my LFS isn't stupid! Yay.

Diana 10-07-2012 02:21 AM

You will be putting any new stock in a quarantine tank, so ask at the store for the exact water parameters and set up the quarantine tank just like that. Then, while they are in quarantine gradually shift the water away from brackish.