The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   |Jeff's ADA Mini Fissidens Mini S| Stock suggestions? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192519)

jkan0228 10-01-2012 04:49 AM

|Jeff's ADA Mini Fissidens Mini S| Stock suggestions?
 
So I managed to find time to setup my first ADA tank, a Mini S that I snagged off CL for a pretty good price.

What do you guys think? Just threw this scape together in a few mins, critiques please :)

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...8/DSCF3174.jpg

Geniusdudekiran 10-01-2012 05:49 AM

Jeez Jeff, finally! :hihi:

Great start but the stones are on the small side, and the scape is too symmetrical; don't rush it man, come up with something you'll really enjoy.

Centromochlus 10-01-2012 06:03 AM

+1 to what Kiran said. They are too small and are all the same size. Great stones, but you definitely need some larger ones (as well as some medium-sized ones) to finish it off. Good start.

Geniusdudekiran 10-01-2012 06:09 AM

Upon second thought they may lend themselves well to a rock pile type scape.

jkan0228 10-01-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran (Post 2028557)
Jeez Jeff, finally! :hihi:

Great start but the stones are on the small side, and the scape is too symmetrical; don't rush it man, come up with something you'll really enjoy.

Lol yup, I was the one who pulled that "Mini M" off CL, turns out its a mini S, gotta change the title!

I kinda wanted them to be on the small side as I'll only be covering them in moss but I see your points

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzFishKid (Post 2028563)
+1 to what Kiran said. They are too small and are all the same size. Great stones, but you definitely need some larger ones (as well as some medium-sized ones) to finish it off. Good start.

How do you think of the idea with a larger rock as a focal point with smaller rocks accenting in and same with the right side but the focal point being smaller?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran (Post 2028570)
Upon second thought they may lend themselves well to a rock pile type scape.

I was primarily aiming for two slopes that had small rocks sticking out on both sides to have tiny patches of moss but I see where your both coming from, we shall see what I come up with tomorrow after track practice ;)

Centromochlus 10-01-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkan0228 (Post 2028602)
How do you think of the idea with a larger rock as a focal point with smaller rocks accenting in and same with the right side but the focal point being smaller?

I suppose you mean something like this, but with each side reversed (focal on left side) and perhaps the stones pointing towards each other instead of away?

I think that would be a really cool scape, assuming that you can get ahold of some nice focal-point stones.

jkan0228 10-01-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzFishKid (Post 2028607)
I suppose you mean something like this, but with each side reversed (focal on left side) and perhaps the stones pointing towards each other instead of away?

I think that would be a really cool scape, assuming that you can get ahold of some nice focal-point stones.

I like that idea, couldn't see the pic since I'm on my schools wifi but will take a look at it once I get home.

I have around 20 pound total so I should have a few nice pieces. Ill see what I can find when I get home :D

jkan0228 10-02-2012 03:47 AM

Here's another scape I put together after dinner:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...A285A6A2C1.jpg

Still not where I want it to be though. I think I should space out the rocks a bit more? Suggestions?

radioman 10-02-2012 04:33 AM

I like it better with the bigger rocks but something still seems to be off. I'm never good at scaping so don't take what I say to seriously.

Couesfanatic 10-02-2012 04:41 AM

If you want some manzanita I have some you can come get. I bought some small stuff from Tom.

orchidman 10-02-2012 04:46 AM

Yeah Jeff! Finally! Lol who am I to talk? I don't have a nice tank. Lol. I think the larger stones you have would lend themselves nicely to a mountainy slopey scape. Like a nice big slope that is build around the rocks with tips poking out of the substrate and moss around the rocks. I did something similar in my 4g evolve.

Geniusdudekiran 10-02-2012 05:02 AM

I think the two groups you're trying to get at with this scape will work but not if you do it that symmetrically -- off center man, off center!

Keep trying until you get something amazing, the best you can; even if it takes two weeks. Besides, we typically don't get to see a dry tank for more than a few days --- enjoy it while it lasts!

jkan0228 10-14-2012 06:41 AM

Put a few more scapes together just now

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...8/DSCF3224.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...8/DSCF3223.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...8/DSCF3222.jpg

The last two look pretty bad now that I see them on my comp but thought I'd post them anyway...

I like the right side of the first one but feel the left side if missing something, suggestions?

Couesfanatic 10-14-2012 07:53 AM

bigger rocks.

Geniusdudekiran 10-14-2012 03:49 PM

If you asks me, stop trying to scape with such high vertical elements. In a small tank like this, it's much easier to scape in a horizontal, slopey manner.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.