The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Ideas welcome (55G Planted Discus) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192231)

Dallen33 09-28-2012 02:23 PM

Ideas welcome (55G Planted Discus)

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...3/P9280539.jpg

55G
2x54w T5HO 5000k,6500k
CO2
Filtration: Aquaclear 50 HOB and Aquaclear 70 HOB
Plant list:dwarf sag, dwarf hair grass, amazon sword, hygro compact, java fern, water sprite, crypts (unk. species)
Stock list: 4 Discus, 4 Columbian Tetras, 3 Otos, ~10 Neons, Assassin snails, nerite snails

Curt_914 09-28-2012 03:06 PM

I would add 1 more discus to the mix. They always seemed to do beter in odd numbers when I had them. Also as they get bigger your going to need to find homes for your tetras. as the neons will become a snack, and your columbians will add a huge bio load with 4-5 full growen discus(6-8"). otherwise looks good cant wait to see it fill in.

Curt

Dallen33 09-29-2012 09:31 PM

Thanks...I would love to add another in the near future. This is my first discus endeavor and its great thus far.

Zefrik 10-18-2012 01:31 AM

Nice! I have been wanting to get discus forever. Maybe I need to make that my next project. ;)

captnphil 10-18-2012 02:37 AM

And i tought my 5 discuss were cramped in 90g :D

ThinkTank 10-18-2012 02:05 PM

I had 5 discus in my 55 and they very quickly outgrew it and I had lots of aggression problems. I traded them off and kept 2 that had paired.

Things were much smoother after that. They never bothered my tetras, just each other.

JerSaint 10-25-2012 12:08 AM

A backround, solid color perhaps black(?) would add definition. I can't tell if the backside is very viewing accessible. A dark color backround would be nice from this angle (frontview). Looking good!:)

discuspaul 10-25-2012 12:33 AM

Looking pretty good, Dallen.
As Curt said, one more discus will be helpful to the social compatability, but 5 is the max number in your tank, particularly with the tankmates you have in there now.

And as JerSaint mentioned, a background would make a nice difference, although I suggest a lighter color shade - you already have a semi-dark substrate and a dark background will make the discus coloration get darker, and you may get some peppering.

Suggest you consider using well-bagged Seachem Purigen in your filter(s) for a while - it will really help polish, clarify & purify your water. Just a suggestion.

Your neons may not last long - they don't do well at all in the higher discus temps - Cardinals are much better.

And keep an eye on your Otos - as they get larger, older and lazier, some MAY tend to take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet.

And Zefrik - why don't you give discus a go - they're extremely satisfying fish to keep.
And not at all difficult, if you get at least 5, in a tank no smaller than Dallens, you get reasonably good-sized healthy specimens from a high quality supplier to begin with, and are prepared to do reasonably frequent wcs, with a good tank cleansing routine.

They need a little more care & attention than most fish species, but are well worth it.

Zefrik 10-25-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discuspaul (Post 2055592)
Looking pretty good, Dallen.
As Curt said, one more discus will be helpful to the social compatability, but 5 is the max number in your tank, particularly with the tankmates you have in there now.

And as JerSaint mentioned, a background would make a nice difference, although I suggest a lighter color shade - you already have a semi-dark substrate and a dark background will make the discus coloration get darker, and you may get some peppering.

Suggest you consider using well-bagged Seachem Purigen in your filter(s) for a while - it will really help polish, clarify & purify your water. Just a suggestion.

Your neons may not last long - they don't do well at all in the higher discus temps - Cardinals are much better.

And keep an eye on your Otos - as they get larger, older and lazier, some MAY tend to take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet.

And Zefrik - why don't you give discus a go - they're extremely satisfying fish to keep.
And not at all difficult, if you get at least 5, in a tank no smaller than Dallens, you get reasonably good-sized healthy specimens from a high quality supplier to begin with, and are prepared to do reasonably frequent wcs, with a good tank cleansing routine.

They need a little more care & attention than most fish species, but are well worth it.

I have a 55 gallon tank that I could "revamp" and get some new equipment for. Would 3 discus work out? Or could I get away with just a pair? I would like to try keeping just a couple discus before a buy a couple hundred dollars worth. You know?

discuspaul 10-25-2012 01:37 AM

Well Zefrik, not wanting to rain on your parade. but getting just one discus would make for a very lonely camper (they're very social fish), and getting 2, 3, or 4 is not a good idea, as you would likely be faced with undesirable pecking order/aggression issues.

You could keep a pair, but they would need to be a proven mated pair, and then you would have to be prepared for their breeding, and then needing another tank or two to raise the fry - not recommended for newcomers to discus - not to mention the high cost of a mated pair.
You could possibly get 5 - 3" discus from a good quality source for around $200, perhaps less, if your wallet would allow that.
That's my best advice.

callisto9 10-25-2012 01:44 AM

Wow, I think your tank is beautiful!

I'd go for a light blue background. Other than that, it looks excellent. Well done.

GMYukonon24s 10-25-2012 02:11 AM

Nice setup! I agree I would go with a background too.

Curt_914 10-25-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zefrik (Post 2055657)
I have a 55 gallon tank that I could "revamp" and get some new equipment for. Would 3 discus work out? Or could I get away with just a pair? I would like to try keeping just a couple discus before a buy a couple hundred dollars worth. You know?

I am in the process of revamping my 55 as well. I am going to get 5- 3" fish for it price will be around 200 or so. I to would not get a Proven pair if your not ready to raise the fry. I would sugest signing up on the simply discus forum for more info on raiseing these beautiful fish.

Curt

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx 10-25-2012 07:19 PM

My thoughts are maybe aquascaping the tank, maybe something like this (don't worry about how many fish are in the picture)

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=1...:16,s:186,i:56

Dallen33 11-20-2012 11:40 PM

Thank you for all the input!...The tank has since grown out and is filling in nicely. I also just got an Eheim Ecco 2236 to replace the HOBS.