The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Illinois (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   GCCA Swap Meet - November 11th (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191389)

shinycard255 09-20-2012 11:20 PM

GCCA Swap Meet - November 11th

Greater Chicago Cichlid Association is having a Swap Meet!

Sunday, November 11th
10:00am-2:00pm

Best Western Plus
4400 Frontage Rd
Hillside, IL 60162

Entry fee:
$5 for everyone
Kids under 15 free with an Adult admission

For more info: click here

shinycard255 10-10-2012 03:05 PM

Bump since this is coming up in a month!

shinycard255 11-05-2012 03:22 AM

This is coming up next weekend already! Woot!

trapperwolves 11-05-2012 11:11 PM

See ya in the parking lot at location #2.

shinycard255 11-08-2012 12:27 PM

I'm sure a majority of people already know about the Swap, but still bumping the thread for any stragglers

shinycard255 11-08-2012 04:27 PM

For anyone who is interested:
Vendor List and Vendor Layout

For anyone meeting up early for the parking lot swap, I am bringing the list of vendors and the layout as well so you can look it over prior to getting inside if you'd like. I already have my plan of action prepared! :bounce:

shinycard255 11-11-2012 01:26 AM

TOMORROW! :bounce:

jp41 11-11-2012 12:25 PM

will anyone be accepting credit cards up there

shinycard255 11-11-2012 12:29 PM

doubtful, bring cash

jp41 11-11-2012 04:24 PM

anyone there and back how was it? still trying to make it

shinycard255 11-11-2012 05:25 PM

You're missing out on all the good stuff :hihi: That's why i show up early

It was a good time. Quite a few plant vendors with good stuff. Shrimp guy is the bomb!

chevyguy8893 11-11-2012 05:39 PM

I have a quick question about this swap meet. I live about an hour, give or take depending on traffic, from where the meet is held. I have seen that these come around once in a while and think it would be neat to go to. So, this may be harder to answer, but is it worth the drive to go to this when another comes around? I would think I would need to bring a cooler to keep things warm and safe for a drive just in case. Thanks!

BTW, I have looked through the GCCA website and it is amazing that there is such a dedicated group of people with this hobby. Around me there is only saltwater clubs, and I'm all freshwater :(.

Chaoslord 11-11-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 (Post 2075058)
I have a quick question about this swap meet. I live about an hour, give or take depending on traffic, from where the meet is held. I have seen that these come around once in a while and think it would be neat to go to. So, this may be harder to answer, but is it worth the drive to go to this when another comes around? I would think I would need to bring a cooler to keep things warm and safe for a drive just in case. Thanks!

BTW, I have looked through the GCCA website and it is amazing that there is such a dedicated group of people with this hobby. Around me there is only saltwater clubs, and I'm all freshwater :(.

Its diffenetly worth the drive. It's one hour for me probable 1 hour 20 mins for you. If I don't have to work I know I'll be at the next one.

shinycard255 11-11-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 (Post 2075058)

It's worth it. A lot of stuff you won't see at your LFS, plus almost all the fish (if not all) are from legit breeders so you are getting good quality. Decent plant selection usually too. A lot of low-tech plants, but you run across the others once and a while too.

Today they had 2x 50G Metaframe tanks and also a 10G Metaframe. I wanted to take the 10G, but I had to walk away. Don't know where I would put it , plus I doubt the wife would be too happy either

chevyguy8893 11-11-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoslord (Post 2075083)
Its diffenetly worth the drive. It's one hour for me probable 1 hour 20 mins for you. If I don't have to work I know I'll be at the next one.

Awesome, that isn't really too bad of a drive, well as long as my GPS doesn't fail me like it sometimes does :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinycard255 (Post 2075127)
It's worth it. A lot of stuff you won't see at your LFS, plus almost all the fish (if not all) are from legit breeders so you are getting good quality. Decent plant selection usually too. A lot of low-tech plants, but you run across the others once and a while too.

Today they had 2x 50G Metaframe tanks and also a 10G Metaframe. I wanted to take the 10G, but I had to walk away. Don't know where I would put it , plus I doubt the wife would be too happy either

I will have to try and make the next one. Judging by the vendor list there is good amount of stuff I would be interested in. I like the sound of local breeders, they really seem to take much better care of their stock compared to large scale businesses. It's probably good that there isn't too many high-tech plants, I don't think I don't think I should buy any more :D.

I had to look up what a metaframe tank is, and they look amazing. Seems like something that would be fairly heavy, but would really be something different to have. That would be a hard tank to try and hide from your wife :).

Random question, has there ever been any botia sidthimunki (dwarf loach) there?

Anyway, thanks to both of you, this sounds like a nice meet to go to. Seems like a good place to meet some nice people too.