The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2x 20L Shrimp Tank Journal (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190913)

AquariumNoob 09-16-2012 09:15 PM

2x 20L Shrimp Tank Journal

4 Attachment(s)
Hi there! Heres a new journal for my two 20L Tank's. Currently have them filled with water. Got a few plants from my old tanks and a few new ones. Got some more moss and stuff on the way, and hoping to find a good deal on a few marimo balls.
Substrate is Black sand mixed with Eco Complete. I Would prefer to use just sand but added 1 bag of eco complete between the two tanks to help with the live plants.
Not sure what shrimp im going to get, but im going to wait a bit for the plants to grow and what not.
Filtration is two Penguin 150's with those annoying bio wheel things (One per tank), and Tetra Whisper 20 Heaters (100 Watt. Got em for 10$ Shipped each for two of em'). Got two digital thermometers on the way, as well as two sponge filters (Still looking for an air pump :d).

Lighting is a dual Oddysea on each that i found on ebay for 40$ Each. Bought most of the stuff on drsfostersmith.com. Including the stand and everything..

GMYukonon24s 09-18-2012 04:31 PM

Nice looking tanks

Drift Monkey 09-18-2012 05:58 PM

I like that stand!

dougolasjr 09-18-2012 07:44 PM

I like the stand def enough space to work in the tanks. The low one might require some bending tho.

AquariumNoob 09-19-2012 12:06 AM

Yeah the bottom one is pretty low. Not too bad when looking at em, but when working i just sit on the floor lol.
Honestly, the stands nice but it aint exactly the best. Its a bit unsteady because of the way its designed (No bolts or anything, the pieces of metal slip into eachother and just sit there).
I plan on getting 2 or 3 pieces of steel and using some sort of bolts and/or brackets to prevent any swaying or anything. Its fine as is, but in case someone leans on it or something.... better safe than sorry :P
Gona just have to paint them black to match, but that shouldnt be a problem.

aznrice247 09-25-2012 01:32 AM

hmm considering you have 2 thanks. try one with neos and the other with CRS.
oh hey you live in eb too! I actually live in milltown.

AquariumNoob 09-25-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznrice247 (Post 2022041)
hmm considering you have 2 thanks. try one with neos and the other with CRS.
oh hey you live in eb too! I actually live in milltown.

Cool! Where at?

Id love to have CRS, however, they are known to be a bit touchy. I decided to just go for two different colored neos.

aznrice247 11-06-2012 09:08 PM

Blue Velvet's all the way! I'm breeding those now. Go for either Orange Neos or Yellows for the other tank.

I live near the Taco bell on ryders.

Blue Falcon 11-06-2012 09:43 PM

make sure you put something over the filter intake so shrimp dont get sucked up. If this is your first shrimp tank I would recommend Neocaridina. Blue velvets and supreme reds/painted fire reds are really popular. So are yellows and pumpkins. After a week or two when you know your water is stable, test your parameters (ph, KH, GH) and that will help you decide on which shrimp to get. Above neutral go with neocaridina, below neutral you might be able to do some CRS or something.