The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Florida (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Red Cherry Shrimp - Tampa Bay (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190058)

crcarlsontech 09-08-2012 08:50 PM

Red Cherry Shrimp - Tampa Bay

Hello Friends!

I have just recently set up my new 40 gallon planted tank and I want to begin to make this a RCS colony.

I do not wish to order RCS from anywhere online, I am in the Tampa Bay area and would like to know if anyone in my area has any Red Cherry's they would like to trade for or sell.

Thanks ahead of time!

EdwardN 09-08-2012 09:19 PM

Rcs

Quote:

Originally Posted by crcarlsontech (Post 2004704)
Hello Friends!

I have just recently set up my new 40 gallon planted tank and I want to begin to make this a RCS colony.

I do not wish to order RCS from anywhere online, I am in the Tampa Bay area and would like to know if anyone in my area has any Red Cherry's they would like to trade for or sell.

Thanks ahead of time!

I'm in Deltona if you are travelling that way...

crcarlsontech 09-08-2012 09:27 PM

If no one in my area is able to accomodate this request I could consider that. Are you looking for a trade or sale?

jeremyblevins 09-08-2012 10:23 PM

Well i'm not really in your area either. lol but i live in orlando and i have some i can part with.

xenxes 09-08-2012 11:29 PM

You should just get it shipped, probably ends up being cheaper. I haven't gotten any DOAs yet, just find a trusted seller who packages well.

Borikuan 09-09-2012 05:50 AM

Plenty of RCS in the orlando area, any of those guys would be more than happy to accomodate you. If you are paranoid, like me, you may want to take the drive. Or wait it out until the cooler months in winter and order from anyone in the country...

pejerrey 09-09-2012 06:52 AM

Why don't you get something a bit better looking than RCS?

Like fire reds or rillis?

EdwardN 09-09-2012 06:50 PM

As requested - pics of my CRSes

2 Attachment(s)
Will somebody tell me for what they are selling, please.

Borikuan 09-09-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardN (Post 2005614)
Will somebody tell me for what they are selling, please.

It depends from who you are buying from, but I would not pay more than a buck for a RCS.

AquaCentral 09-09-2012 09:03 PM

How many are you looking to get?

artega 09-10-2012 03:13 PM

There are quite a few of us here in Orlando that can part with some RCS. I for one have over 300 in my 60g.

rodcuda 09-10-2012 03:30 PM

Go for some Fire Reds, you can get them for 1-3 bucks each. If you do the plain cherries, you will just wish you had gone with the better looking shrimp.

crcarlsontech 09-10-2012 04:32 PM

Wow, thank you everyone for the replies! I did not think I would get such a response.

The reason I wanted Red Cherry's is -- I am relatively new to freshwater planted tanks and freshwater shrimp keeping, coming from saltwater. I have read the Red Cherry's are easy to keep and I did not really want to spend any money on a genus I would not be able to properly keep alive, I get somewhat upset when something aquatic dies in my care.

The reason I was looking for a local supplier is a combination of a few things -- one being price and the other being reliable shipping.

More specifically, I wanted to get my hands on some plain red cherry's and attempt at throwing in some Rili's and seeing what kinda variations they would come up with.

If anyone has suggestions on other shrimps that are easy to keep and breed that have a better appearance, I am very open minded.

The tank I am intending on colonizing with shrimp is in the final stages of a fishless cycle so there is no immediate rush for me to get shrimp in the tank.

Also -- I dont really want to pay more than about 75 cents a shrimp.

xenxes 09-10-2012 04:37 PM

All neocaridina heteropoda and neocaridina palmata are easy to keep, also malawa shrimp. You have more options than just RCS.

Red rili x. RCS = rcs, rili of various grades; red rilis are derived from RCS
Red rili x. Yellow, Orange, Brown, Black = wild form brown / brown rili patterns of various kinds

Epicfish sells plain RCS for about $1/shrimp shipped (20 for $22.50), my LFS sells RCS for $4-6, most sellers have DOA guarantee. Most hobbyists know how to ship shrimp, it's not hard. quarantine shrimp for 3 days + foam-lined box + clean water + breather bag + moss + cushion does 99.9% fine with just Priority mail.

I say go for fire reds, or at least Sakura, maybe $2/piece shipped.

jeremyblevins 09-10-2012 05:43 PM

Not sure what grade my cherries are they're somewhere between cherry and fire red. I can show you some pictures of a few my adults if you want.