The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ponds (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   For those with outdoor shrimp ponds/containers, lid ? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189937)

ravensgate 09-07-2012 06:40 PM

For those with outdoor shrimp ponds/containers, lid ?
 
For those that have outdoor shrimp container ponds what sort of lids or netting do you use? I have a 16 gallon transparent blue tote I have about 50 RCS/PFRs in. The only problem is their color is somewhat fading due to lack of light (it's somewhat in the shade most of the day). The lid is the same transparent blue as the tote. So do you all use mosquito netting, window screen, lids, or nothing? It already has a few mosquito larvae in it despite have the lid fitted loosely to the top. I just want to avoid dragonflies and damselflies. No fish, pretty heavily planted and on the back porch. Thanks in advance!

pweifan 09-07-2012 07:16 PM

Jaime, I just use a grill over the top of my container pond. You can see pictures here. For what it's worth, I've noticed that these shrimp do get a bit paler than the ones I leave inside. I always assumed it was the difference in diet, but it could be environmental.

mistergreen 09-07-2012 09:48 PM

I kept cherry shrimps outside once. They did well even in 90+F weather but keep out of direct sunlight and off the pavement. It's too hot for that.

ravensgate 09-07-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pweifan (Post 2003706)
Jaime, I just use a grill over the top of my container pond. You can see pictures here. For what it's worth, I've noticed that these shrimp do get a bit paler than the ones I leave inside. I always assumed it was the difference in diet, but it could be environmental.

See, I've always heard the colors are much more vibrant when they are kept outdoors probably due to the light. Hmmmmm. Something for my to think about. I've only had them out there a few weeks and they are juvies so it's hard to tell much of anything right now. DOesn't help I can't see into the container too good either. LOL! Did you ever have issues with drangonfly or damselfly nymphs getting in there? That's my main concern.

ravensgate 09-07-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergreen (Post 2003862)
I kept cherry shrimps outside once. They did well even in 90+F weather but keep out of direct sunlight and off the pavement. It's too hot for that.

Mine's not in direct sunlight, it's in pretty much full shade and mine have been fine in well over 90 degree temps. I was asking about lids/tops for the pond containers. Just trying to keep predatory bugs/nymphs out of my water and the lid I have on there is so solid I think it may be contributing to their color fade.

jeremyTR 09-08-2012 12:05 AM

Someone posted some pictures of some shrimp that he was keeping outside and their colors were vibrant and deep. They looked really nice.

pweifan 09-08-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravensgate (Post 2003932)
See, I've always heard the colors are much more vibrant when they are kept outdoors probably due to the light. Hmmmmm. Something for my to think about. I've only had them out there a few weeks and they are juvies so it's hard to tell much of anything right now. DOesn't help I can't see into the container too good either. LOL! Did you ever have issues with drangonfly or damselfly nymphs getting in there? That's my main concern.

I've had both dragonfly or damselfly nymphs. I've never actually seen them eat a shrimp, but then again the most recent one I pulled out looked big enough to eat the White Clouds as well as the shrimp. I'd recommend looking for nasties at night with a flashlight. It seems to be the best way to find them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.