The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Manzanita question (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188285)

RainSong 08-23-2012 10:38 PM

Manzanita question

I have a 90 gallon acrylic tank. I am considering purchasing a piece of manzanita driftwood for it. This is an older acrylic tank with two (relatively) small openings on top. I assume I am restricted to buying wood pieces that will fit into one of the two openings? Is manzanita flexible? ie. can the branches be scrunched together to fit into a smaller opening? Can a big piece be sawed into smaller pieces and super glued inside the tank? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

zoo minsi 08-23-2012 10:57 PM

its not super flexible so your probably looking at combining a few piece to get the look you want inside the tank.

here's two links that have a few good ideas.

link 1

link 2

RainSong 08-23-2012 11:12 PM

Very useful links! Thanks!

antbug 08-23-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoo minsi (Post 1988932)
its not super flexible so your probably looking at combining a few piece to get the look you want inside the tank.

here's two links that have a few good ideas.

link 1

link 2

Good info! Just get the piece you want and cut it up. You can screw it back together in the tank. Some well placed screws can be hidden easily with plants, moss, rocks.... Manzi is the best wood for tank IMO. You don't want a flexible wood as it will be really soft and will fall apart in your tank.

Stinkmonky 08-23-2012 11:57 PM

If your have decent carpentry skills and the wood is thick enough you could saw it in half and drill hole in the face of each sawed piece. Glue a bolt in on face and a nut in the other face :p. IKEA driftwood style >.<

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RainSong 08-24-2012 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=Stinkmonky;1989008]If your have decent carpentry skills and the wood is thick enough you could saw it in half and drill hole in the face of each sawed piece. Glue a bolt in on face and a nut in the other face :p. IKEA driftwood style >.<

Good idea ... but not sure I can picture myself holding one big piece of driftwood and turning another big piece to screw it on inside a 90 gallon tank that is half full of water, fish and plants ... :eek:

acitydweller 08-24-2012 04:20 PM

vicky certainly has skills! Moreso with smaller tanks, cutting is required.

Stinkmonky 08-24-2012 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=RainSong;1989660]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinkmonky (Post 1989008)
If your have decent carpentry skills and the wood is thick enough you could saw it in half and drill hole in the face of each sawed piece. Glue a bolt in on face and a nut in the other face :p. IKEA driftwood style >.<

Good idea ... but not sure I can picture myself holding one big piece of driftwood and turning another big piece to screw it on inside a 90 gallon tank that is half full of water, fish and plants ... :eek:

Bahaha yeah you might just rake up everything...I was think that it would be unplanted :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD