The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Water Wisteria Dying (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188001)

mitchfish9 08-21-2012 06:26 AM

Water Wisteria Dying

I have all but lost all my wisteria that I ordered about a month ago. The stem turns brown first then it just melts away. It is weird because the other plants in my tank have thrived like crypts, stargrass, dwarf sag, ludwigia repens, amazon sword, and limnophila sessilflora.

Does anybody have a theory about what could of been happening?

Thanks in advance.

JasonG75 08-21-2012 07:41 PM

I never had luck with the Wisteria, but its cousin (Water-Sprite) does an AWESOME job

HybridHerp 08-21-2012 08:45 PM

try a different source.
I've had success with the plant in larger tanks mainly, and it is a nutrient sponge, but it shouldn't be dying so quickly or like that.
Its a pretty plant too, so I hope you get it to work

AirstoND 08-22-2012 03:29 AM

Browning could be a number of factors IME:
1) Low lights
2) Low circulation
3) Adding too much salts, either as fertilizer or aquarium salt

mitchfish9 08-22-2012 05:47 AM

Thanks guys. I really want to get more of it because it is a great plant.

I have decent lighting, and only dose flourish once a week. I also have dirt as a substrate so it is really a mystery to me how it died off.

My circulation was a little low however, but have since made it stronger about a week ago.

OVT 08-22-2012 06:54 AM

Give it another try as it can be a really beautiful (and useful) plant.

Indian fern 08-22-2012 08:45 AM

I bought them in pots of foam. I always dont disturb the root structure as it can cause melting. I guess. I place the plants pots and all in the gravel. :#
In this way, they never melt! :D

HybridHerp 08-22-2012 04:32 PM

I disagree, I would take them out of the pots before planting. My guess is that you just got weak specimens and they didn't survive the move. A healthy plant should be able to be trimmed and replanted and still grow like crazy.

mitchfish9 08-23-2012 12:00 AM

yea I've heard of people having trouble killing it LOL.

I want a huge bush of it to fill one part of my tank

mrduna01 08-23-2012 01:07 AM

Wisteria is one I've tried several times. It just withers away each time right next to other plants growing like crazy.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

jnatelborg54@gmail.com 08-23-2012 02:50 AM

My Wisteria grows like crazy and I'm constantly trimming it. What I do notice tho is that if I get a bba outbreak, it's one of the first plants to have it on them. Also, I'm not so crazy about all those roots shooting out of them. It gets so thick that I wonder if the fish can even swim thru it.

OVT 08-23-2012 06:51 AM

This plant needs a lot of food: feed it.
You can snip the roots with your fingers to no ill effect.

they call me bruce 08-23-2012 11:51 PM

next time u get some let the plant float and it will aclimate to your tank it dosent like its roots buried to much leave it out of the gravel as much as possible

Indian fern 08-24-2012 01:43 AM

The wisteria now is growing well. Though It was still in the foam. :3

mitchfish9 08-24-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVT (Post 1988214)
This plant needs a lot of food: feed it.
You can snip the roots with your fingers to no ill effect.

I have a dirt substrate with a cap so I think i gets plenty of nutrients. Through the roots at least. The most important part to feed a plant IMO. I also dose flourish comp and iron.