The Planted Tank Forum banner

Overflow glass question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  crazymittens 
#1 ·
I'm putting in a coast-to-coast overflow box (internal) on my 50G and just picked up the glass the other day. Either my measurements were off or their guy cutting was not accurate - the actual tank width is 1/8" more than the width of the overflow pieces.

I'm figuring that as long as the overflow box is properly supported/secured during the curing process, I should be okay.

My question:
Is 1/16" (maybe as much as 3/32") on either side too much for the silicone to deal with?

#2 ·
I had some gaps like that (and bigger) when building my sump. Doesnt look that great, but seems to be holding water during my leak test just fine. I used the GE Silicone I, and if i remember correctly it states on it:
...use filler rod for gaps bigger than 1/2"x1/2"

If you are careful, you should be able to make the seams look good and have it hold up imo. I wasnt too careful since it was the sump...

#3 ·
I would be concerned if you did NOT have a bit of a gap.
Filling the gap with silicone is just right. Go for it!

Yes, work out some sort of block or support system.
Masking tape will make the joints look neater, but is not strong enough to support the glass.

Can you lay the tank down while you are installing the glass, and waiting for it to cure?

#4 ·
Great, thanks guys/gals. I didn't think to check the tube for specifications - good call. I'm using the same silicone, will double-check, though.

I've used masking tape for the baffle installs, and it helps - only if you can get a razor in to clean up the overlap. Since I should have full access, I will definitely be masking off the silicone areas.

I will lay the tank on its side for sure, although I'll still need a jig to hold the glass in place. Half the work in these jobs is making the jig! But that's how you get a good result, prep work.

I just got the drill bits yesterday, hopefully PVC arrives today. Will cut out the bulkhead holes, then install the overflow box. If all goes well, might even get that far this weekend!

Thanks again...I love this forum, you guys rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.