The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Panacur, help on dosing (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184026)

sbarbee54 07-18-2012 03:26 PM

Panacur, help on dosing

So I am going to dose one tank with this. I have not added any plants to this tank in a year and I just found some Planeria moving about.

I need dosing advice and as well, will it kill pest snails as well? It will be going in a 20L

mordalphus 07-18-2012 03:30 PM

It won't kill pest snails, just nerites.

The dose is .1 grams per 10 gallons, so for 20 gallons its 1/5th of the package.

Split it into 5 equal size piles and then dump one pile in.

sbarbee54 07-18-2012 04:32 PM

How long do I treat for, or just one treatment is good? So just buy the 1 gram packet and use .1 grams

mordalphus 07-18-2012 04:49 PM

Leave it in for 3 days then do a wc, if you still see planaria, treat one more time.

If you have nerites to re introduce, throw some carbon in your filter for a day first

sbarbee54 07-18-2012 04:59 PM

Thanks Liam

luna62 10-12-2012 02:11 AM

Dosing

Any suggestions on dosing a 2 gallon and a 4 gallon

sbarbee54 10-12-2012 09:05 PM

Crush it up and get a little amount in your fingers tips and dose. You will only OD them with a bunch.

sayurasem 10-12-2012 09:43 PM

Don't forget take out carbon and purigen before treatment and add carbon after treatment.

luna62 10-12-2012 11:08 PM

Thanks

abc 02-08-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarbee54 (Post 2041390)
Crush it up and get a little amount in your fingers tips and dose. You will only OD them with a bunch.

looking through some old threads on planeria and hydra, I have them! Argh! I was just getting the algae under control in my 5.5gal planted tank. now this. I removed the nerite snails. I'm just stuck on how much to dose. If I have a 1 gram bag of Safeguard (= 222 mg Fenbendazole).

If I divide that by 10, will that work? I have 10 doses per bag?

I'm going to have a bear of a time eye-balling this. Would the pinch method work? anyone try this?

Otherwise I could use a razor and the back of my petri glass dish and cut up the powder 10 ways and try to put each portion into a separate bag for future doses.

I was thinking:

Day 1: dose
Day 2: no dosing and just see if it's working
Day 3: dose
Day 4: no dosing
Day 5: no dosing
Day 6: dose one last time
Day 7: WC

Do you think this is a good method or would you WC with each dose?

Just wondering if I should build up the safeguard by not WC till the end or WC each time I dose.

abc 02-08-2013 04:48 PM

FYI, the 5.5 gal planted tank has fire red shrimp and tangerine tiger shrimp

sbarbee54 02-08-2013 05:09 PM

I would not use Pancur, go with Beni bachi no planaria or something. Pancur never really worked for me.

abc 02-08-2013 08:13 PM

are you sure about safeguard/panacur not working? I have been reading the old posts and the referred links. it appears to have worked for many. it's all my local petsmart has and I don't want to order something online I would like to start now before the infestation gets out of control.

anyone try safeguard/panacur with 5.5 gal? I'm going to move forward and give it a try if no one responds but just wondering how other people measured out/divided up a 1g bag for a 5.5.gal?

nyxkitten 02-08-2013 08:45 PM

By Triet Do, USC School of Pharmacy
Having hydra and planaria in your shrim tank is both insightful and potentially harmful to shrimplets. I have seen a huge hydra literally attack and kill one of my baby Crystal Red Shrimps. After searching for a cure I have found and tried Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard) successfully. It’s safe for shrimps, snails, fish and plants.

Instruction

1) Purchase the cheapest Fenbendazole product (available at Petsmart)

2) Mix 1 bag (1g) with 100 mL of drinking water. Shake VIGORIOUSLY! There will always be undissolved Fenbendazole settling on the bottom. The point of shaking is to make a saturated solution of Fenbendazole.
3) You will need to save the solution in a bottle for future treatment.

Dosing

1) DOSE is 0.1 g/10 gallons every 12 hours (prefer at night).
2) Use a SYRINGE to draw 10 mL of the solution (contain 0.1 g) and inject to your 10-gallon tank. If you have a 20-gallon tank, draw 20 mL of solution and so on.

3) Dose every 12 hours until all hydra and planaria are gone. Usually after 3 doses.
4) Do a 25% water change if you feel necessary. I don’t normally do that but my shrimps are still healthy and breed fast.

I followed above directions to dose my 20L, didn't kill MTS, fire red shrimps or oto. Also on the first dose I forgot to take out the carbon and purigen. So I don't know if that helped killed them. I used it on hydras

wkndracer 02-08-2013 08:53 PM

Panacur is Fenbendazole. It has real hazards being used as a water dosed treatment.
(I don't use it)