Cheap 10g Setup w/ DIY CO2, CFL's, and Filter Diffuser
I have just started to set up a planted tank and i will be adding to it over time. I wanted to start it out right so i got all of the Equipment right before i start on the rest of the plants.
-I started with aragonite sand, rinsed and cleaned. About an inch, maybe an inch and a half.
-For filtration, i put a tetra 10i in another tank for two weeks prior to cycle the filter.
-I planted HC sprigs and Micro sword clippings about 1-1.5" apart with 1" of water in the tank so that i could manipulate the plants and the substrate.
-I filled half way with water from the tank i used to cycle the 10i filter, then filled the rest with de-chlorinated water.
-Made a DIY yeast reactor with bubble counter, and ran tubing into the filter intake so that it sat under the impeller.
-Got clamp lights at home depot for cheap and got 5600K CFL's from the grocery store.
So far its been three days set up and both the HC and the micro sword sprigs are photosynthesizing, evident from the oxygen bubbles rising out of the plants. I put a beta into the tank just for some organic additives into the water and i will soon have some shrimp for the tank as well. Pics will be posted soon. Any questions anyone has or any advice people are willing to give, i'm all ears.
So far I'm getting mixed results. The grass has sprouted new growth and I cut down old growth that was starting to decay. As for the ground cover, bba is forming on the HC but it seems to be doing alright. I think its from lack of flow. Hopefully that can be fixed with a little hagen elite internal power filter. The roots are starting to take hold and are pearling even more than before. On the surface of the substrate, a green Hugh from what i addume is gsa is starting to become visible. I raised my lights up to try and combat this and I'll see how it goes.
As for co2 and surface skimming, I used a Gatorade bottle and cut the top off and sealed the bottom part of my filter inside it. Then made a hole in the bottom and sealed tubing into that so that the filter draws its flow from the tubing. Then I used a Tetra whisper air operated filter body at the top of the water and hooked the tubing to that so it pulled water from the surface, while keeping the proteins in the water to be used by the plants.
Idk how this will work out but I'll probably end up changing something around eventually
Registered just to say as a beginning enthusiast, it sounded like a solid initial setup.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.