The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Borne Wild Vigor growing mold (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182821)

lipadj46 07-09-2012 02:27 PM

Borne Wild Vigor growing mold

I just got a bottle vigor a couple weeks ago and I opened it today and it was full of white mold. Anyone else experience this? It is unlike the other BW powder products as it is somewhat moist. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

cprash 07-09-2012 02:41 PM

I've got something similar going on. I just assumed that was how it is...How bad is the mold? I just have a very light, fuzzy coating on the top. Any chance you could snap a pic?

lipadj46 07-09-2012 02:48 PM

Yeah sounds like mine, I had it closed for a few days so the fuzzy mold filled in the top. I stirred it up a bit so it looks normal now. I still used it just was seeing if this was normal. On a side note vigor has a weird smell almost fruity but not quite.

cprash 07-09-2012 02:52 PM

Mine too. I'm not sure if I find it pleasant or not, lol.

I have used a pinch of whitish Vigor weekly and the shrimp snap it up anyway, so I don't think its particularly dangerous.

h4n 07-09-2012 02:53 PM

I have yet to see this?
Where do you guys store the vigor botles?
Also there is a moist absorbing thing still in them correct?

lipadj46 07-09-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h4n (Post 1935349)
I have yet to see this?

I store them in a rubbermade bin with the rest of my shrimp stuff. No the bottle dose not have the dessicant that I can find like the other BW stuff. Think the vigor is supposed to be moist?

h4n 07-09-2012 03:02 PM

I see, not sure if it does orginally come with a dessicant or not, I'll have to check my open bottle when I get home. But ya orginally it looks like it moist.

cprash 07-09-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h4n (Post 1935349)
I have yet to see this?

Pretty sure if there was a packet, its still in there. I didn't even dig the spoon out since its stuck in there. Mine is warm and moist, stored sealed in the original container and next to the tank.

sbarbee54 07-09-2012 04:16 PM

Mine is warm and moist stored on my rack. No fuzz growing in it....... No packet in it. I think it is suposed to be a damp material.

Powchekny 07-09-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprash (Post 1935347)
I have used a pinch of whitish Vigor weekly and the shrimp snap it up anyway, so I don't think its particularly dangerous.

Since the critters in question would probably be thrilled to chow down on a putrefying fish at the bottom of a pond, I wouldn't worry about it either. They didn't evolve in a laboratory.

lipadj46 07-09-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powchekny (Post 1935456)
Since the critters in question would probably be thrilled to chow down on a putrefying fish at the bottom of a pond, I wouldn't worry about it either. They didn't evolve in a laboratory.

That's not really the point.

cprash 07-09-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powchekny (Post 1935456)

Yah, but we're a little concerned about the shelf life and If thatís been compromised

lipadj46 07-09-2012 06:30 PM

Yes that was my concern as this bottle will probably last me 6 months at least. If it is getting moldy after 2 weeks not sure about the shelf stability.

Anhvu 07-09-2012 07:17 PM

I got mine couple weeks ago and it has a fuzzy coating on the top, and it has funny smell. Also, it has a moist absorbing thing in them. I didn't used it at all...

ravensgate 07-09-2012 08:54 PM

Has anybody written the company yet? complaining on a forum is always nice in a misery loves company sort of thing, but it doesn't 'fix' anything. Somebody needs to tell the company and ask what's going on.