The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Important Update/Announcements (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   TapATalk Soon To Be Deactivated (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=181808)

KyleT 06-30-2012 04:30 PM

TapATalk Soon To Be Deactivated

On Saturday July 7th we will be removing TapATalk from the forum and replacing it with a mobile style.

This has become necessary due to security risks inherent in 3rd party software that we have no control over and a lack of our options when it comes to controlling what and how it displays content. Plus our mobile theme is free for you...tapatalk is not!

For those that are curious in the month of May over 20% of our visitors were on a mobile device!

blink 06-30-2012 04:53 PM

Is there going to be a way to default mobile browsing to just use the main desktop site or will it try to force me to use mobile?

JshineTX84 06-30-2012 04:56 PM

Thumbs down... But I understand, security first.

KyleT 06-30-2012 05:08 PM

It will always be default load the main "desktop" site, when a mobile device is detected it will simply present a tiny link to load the site as mobile.

TWA 06-30-2012 05:26 PM

Ah unfortunate. Safari isn't quick on my phone but tapatalk definitely is. This will cut down on the amount of time I spend on here considerably.

KyleT 06-30-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWA (Post 1923577)
Ah unfortunate. Safari isn't quick on my phone but tapatalk definitely is. This will cut down on the amount of time I spend on here considerably.

A large part of that is because mobile phones struggle to process complex html pages like our forum. The mobile style will significantly reduce the amount of processing your phone has to do and thus significantly speed up the site in your browser.

HolyAngel 06-30-2012 05:55 PM

Nice! Great move/idea! I never could get into tapatalk after trying it for a few months. I havent had any problems with safari, it has been fine to load but then again, I'm pretty much always around wifi anyways. It's just the pics in the threads that can sometimes take awhile and most of those are because of external links and no fault of TPT.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the mobile site!

akdylpickles 06-30-2012 05:58 PM

Might be hard to get used to but glad you're doing it. Tapatalk has too many glitches and crashes way to often can't wait to see the mobile site :)

CalmSeasQuest 06-30-2012 06:03 PM

I'm brand new to TPT, but FWIW, I'll miss TapaTalk. I find that I tend to use those forums (both business and pleasure) that have Tapatalk access. As much time is spent on mobile devices, It will unfortunately cut down on the amount of time I spend on TPT.

I wasn't unaware of any additional security concerns with Tapatalk. I do understand controlling content - especially display of ads is difficult.

Wasserpest 06-30-2012 06:10 PM

Excellent... I had nothing but problems with Tapatalk, and ended up using the regular site on my Nook Color. Looking forward to TPT mobile! :bounce:

Trickerie 06-30-2012 06:22 PM

I bought Tapatalk just for this forum. Lame... :|

h4n 06-30-2012 06:30 PM

Will the mobile site be ready on the 7th also?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

KyleT 06-30-2012 06:32 PM

Yes it will be.

orchidman 06-30-2012 07:04 PM

whatt?? :(:(:( that sucks! i love tapatalk! guess i wont be on here as much anymore...

AaronMB 06-30-2012 07:33 PM

Understandable; I do like Tapatalk and never have had trouble. Hopefully the mobile 'version' will work effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk