The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fertilizers and Water Parameters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hot Tank in NYC (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=181056)

CandleMaker 06-24-2012 03:24 PM

Hot Tank in NYC
 
My Tank reaches 88-92F every day here in NYC, I live on the top floor of my apartment building. I have no clue how to get my temperature range back to normal, an ice bottle can only do so much and besides, I am going on vacation for three weeks, so I wont be able to have that luxury. I was wondering if an air pump will be ok/sufficient or even help a bit ?

Wasserpest 06-24-2012 03:50 PM

I don't see how an airpump could help. They get hot as they work and so you will be blowing warm air into the tank.

If you can't control the environment (air condition, move to colder area), your choices are pretty much

1) Take down the tank (or don't keep fish/plants)
2) Buy a chiller
3) Rig up some intricate evaporative cooling (fans blowing across the water surface, evaporated water added back via distilled water/top-off)

There have been a number of threads about hot tanks in NYC in the last few days, search for them as they might offer some better ideas.

smokaah 06-24-2012 04:21 PM

Chiller

WoodRiverTroutBum 06-24-2012 04:34 PM

Air conditioner.

fplata 06-24-2012 05:59 PM

point the AC vent at the tank. how big is this tank, and what is the temperature inside your apartment?

PlantedRich 06-24-2012 06:41 PM

I think there are some real solutions that won't break the bank.
First look at reducing the heat you equipment generates. Light, filters, powerheads, all make heat. If there is a way to cut the time these run or the number, it will help.

Air circulation in the room so that the heat is moved away from the tank into another room? Even opening lids and canopies will help a lot. A simple box fan blowing across the top will evaporate a lot of water.

Sweating works to cool your body. It works the same for tanks.

A combo of small things will often do it for the short term needs you have. I don't favor using ice as it tends to be hard work and lead to temperature swings which are much harder on fish than a slow rise in temperature.

CandleMaker 06-25-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantedRich (Post 1915421)
I think there are some real solutions that won't break the bank.
First look at reducing the heat you equipment generates. Light, filters, powerheads, all make heat. If there is a way to cut the time these run or the number, it will help.

Air circulation in the room so that the heat is moved away from the tank into another room? Even opening lids and canopies will help a lot. A simple box fan blowing across the top will evaporate a lot of water.

Sweating works to cool your body. It works the same for tanks.

A combo of small things will often do it for the short term needs you have. I don't favor using ice as it tends to be hard work and lead to temperature swings which are much harder on fish than a slow rise in temperature.

These are all great solutions but my problem is when I am not here for 3 weeks :( it looks like the only solution is a real expensive chiller.

CandleMaker 06-25-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fplata (Post 1915371)
point the AC vent at the tank. how big is this tank, and what is the temperature inside your apartment?

20 Gallon, it wouldnt be a problem if I was here because I'd just keep it in an air conditioned room but I wont be here for 3 weeks in July and I am on the top floor of my apartment building.

tetra73 06-25-2012 07:47 PM

Your only solution is using a chiller or an AC unit. Considering you will be gone for 3 weeks, you don't want to use a fan. It evaporates too much water. I used a fan. I can get the temp down from 86f to 82f. However, I think about more than a gallon of tank water were evaporated in a week.

PlantedRich 06-26-2012 02:57 AM

The three weeks away is a problem but I would assume that you will have someone checking things while you are gone. If not there may be a major problem with the tank at best. If not the temperature, there is a good chance of other problems. The tank will suffer in some way while it is not watched. Long vacations and fishkeeping are not really compatible. If one had any other type pet, the situation might be even worse.

Trickerie 06-26-2012 06:17 AM

Stop being cheap and use your AC while youre gone :| My AC in FL pretty much never turns off to keep the house 75F. If its hotter than that outside, I'd be using an AC, I dont care how cold it may get in the winter... How can people tolerate it being above 80F in their house?! Not only is it hot, but the mold growth must be disgusting.

vincenz 06-26-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trickerie (Post 1917726)
Stop being cheap and use your AC while youre gone :| My AC in FL pretty much never turns off to keep the house 75F. If its hotter than that outside, I'd be using an AC, I dont care how cold it may get in the winter... How can people tolerate it being above 80F in their house?! Not only is it hot, but the mold growth must be disgusting.

80F is not that hot... And mold forms because of humidity, not really temperature.

OP, I'd suggest a fan, but with the evaporation that's going to happen over 3 weeks, not really sure if that is such a good idea either. How big is the tank?

Korage 06-26-2012 12:44 PM

Its not about cost. He can't have an AC on the whole time.. just get a chiller. However.. if it is about cost.. then move the tank somewhere else OR fill it with life capable of living in those temps.

Where to get a chiller? mostly going to be in the big companies but I would still try the smaller businesses.

m8e 06-26-2012 02:07 PM

Fan + dripp system.

Fan evaporate water and cools the tank, and the dripp system fills the tank with new water, and any excess goes down into a overflow drain.:icon_wink

Bushkill 06-26-2012 02:55 PM

I'm getting the impression the tank is covered? If so, just removing the covers will make a huge difference. Fish jumpers can be contained with screen covers. Then you'll be able to run a small fan across the top of the tank.

Another option may be a small drop-in chiller that shouldn't break the bank. In any event, 3 weeks of evaporation will be hard to provide for and measure.

But I gotta tell ya, 3 weeks without AC on the 3rd floor in NYC, I think you'll be pushing your luck even if you have somebody looking in on the tank.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.