The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Corydoras and Planaria (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180921)

Chrisinator 06-23-2012 05:08 PM

Corydoras and Planaria

I have a 10 gallon planted Fire Red Shrimp tank. I would like to buy about 5 Corydoras in order to eat some of the unwated critters in invert tanks, specifically planaria.

Would Corydoras do a good job of consuming planaria? I only feed the shrimp once or twice a week so I don't see any sign so far but wanted to also add some activity to the tank.

Secondly, what has your experience been like in terms of Corydoras and shrimp?

Is it say to safe that they are generally shrimp safe and that they would probably just accidentally grab a shrimplet here and there?

I like both dwarf and the medium sized Corydoras (Pandas, etc). Would it matter much which I get?

aznartist34 06-24-2012 12:25 AM

Corys would probably eat baby shrimp. I've seen my corys eat fairly large mosquito larvae that are bigger than baby shrimp.

CatB 06-24-2012 12:39 AM

probably dwarf cories would be less likely to eat shrimplets, but i can't say that for sure

Chrisinator 06-24-2012 05:07 PM

Do you think Panda Corydoras would be okay? Im thinkin about gettin them at the end of summer once the population of the FRS explode so that a few eaten babies would be okay. Thanks!

shrimpNewbie 06-24-2012 08:28 PM

Get some Dario Dario they're so tiny and should help a little

Psionic 06-25-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie (Post 1915472)
Get some Dario Dario they're so tiny and should help a little

I had dario dario in my shrimp tank. They won't bother adults at all. I do remove him when one gets berried. They will snack on babies quickly. Even if you have lots of moss, that won't stop the dario from hunting them.

-Val

JoeD323 06-25-2012 01:25 AM

IMO cories really don't bother shrimp, healthy ones at least. I have kept full grown green aeneus in my shrimp tanks before and not noticed any trouble as far as population growth in the shrimp colony. Well fed cories are lazy. Fact. The last thing they want to do is try to catch up with a healthy tiny shrimplet.

I've even seen my school of cories sharing bottom wafers with shrimps of all sizes without issue.

Joe

valerie2535 06-25-2012 07:02 PM

i have a question and im new to this site

i want to know a good freshwater sand shifter that would not hurt my clown loaches

thechibi 06-25-2012 07:20 PM

I have to second the cories not bothering the shrimps. I see baby shrimps walking over my C. habrosus. o_o Habrosus bros so silly...

MChambers 06-26-2012 01:17 AM

I've had several types of corydoras coexist with red cherry shrimp, without problem.

Chrisinator 06-26-2012 11:09 PM

Thank you all! And no significant losses with babies? Im thinking about getting them mid-summer so that should give my shrimp population to get a jumpstart.

Thanks for all your help!

Chrisinator 06-27-2012 01:32 AM

Any experience with Kuhli Loaches and RCS?

CrazyCatPeekin 06-27-2012 02:27 AM

I have been keeping habrosus corys with my fire reds for about 8 weeks or so and I have more baby shrimp than ever. They decimated the ostracod population but seem to leave the shrimplets alone.

ptr 06-27-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisinator (Post 1918583)
Any experience with Kuhli Loaches and RCS?

No problem. They pretty much ignore each other.

Bananariot 06-27-2012 10:11 AM

Shrimp babies will be an easy snack for the corydoras. If anything I would recommend pygmy corydoras. Ideally to get rid of planaria you want something that will dig through the substrate to churn up the worms for a snack, so micro rasboras would be ok but not ideal. Pygmy cories are your best bet. Panda corydoras though small don't count as pygmy corydoras. I also find pandas to be really fragile for some reason. I would go pygmy if you have the chance.

Hope you have round substrate with nothing too sharp, if its sharp itll cut the cory's barbels and they'll die....giving pplanaria more food lol