The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   California (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   SFAS vs SFBAAPS (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180909)

pandamonium 06-23-2012 08:50 AM

SFAS vs SFBAAPS

hey everyone from the bay area!
so i was thinking about joining one of these two aquarium societies in the san francisco region. i looked on their sites and saw that they were quite similar. i was wondering if anyone who was a member of one or the other or both would be willing to elaborate. i realize that they have auctions but is one more fish oriented and the other more plant oriented?
i think SFAS has a yearly or monthly fee whereas SFBAAPS does not. i just wanted to know what people subjectively think about these two organization as they are the closest to me in terms of meetings/auctions and such.

speedie408 06-23-2012 09:28 AM

Join SFBAAPS! We have a meeting this Sunday in SF actually. PM me if you want the details. Very friendly and willing community.

jimko 06-23-2012 10:18 AM

Support both of them!!!

They focus is different and both have a lot to offer.

pandamonium 06-23-2012 10:26 AM

yeah i have looked on both their pages and im not sure which one would be more tailored to what i like. thats why i posted here, i have seen a few guys or girls who are in one of the two. hopefully they can help me out. i may just end up doing both haha :)

AW0L 06-23-2012 10:50 AM

Both are good groups i havent been to a meeting in a long time but still keep in touch. Sfas you can get alot of good equipment buys during the auctions for general fish keeping. Sfbaaps great for plants and plantoreinted equipment plus discounts at afa.

Bananariot 06-24-2012 09:22 AM

Damn you nick, you live by my 2 shrimp sources!!!

Edit: and I was referring to panda not speedie lmao xD Forgot you guys have the same name

Bananariot 06-24-2012 09:30 AM

If only had an aquarium society up to par with west coast types.....LIAS requires 70% attendance and we're at olean most of the year....maybe we should join Alleghany Aquarium Society xD.

I'm actually contemplating it lol

pandamonium 06-24-2012 09:50 AM

lol i just sent in my SFBAAPS registration list thing. im contemplating joining SFAS. i like the whole talks they give and it is a great place too. my parents used to go there for orchid conventions so im familiar with the area. ill probably apply to that once i can get 20 bucks together from my first legit paycheck at work. even if i dont buy stuff regularly going to talks would be a great way to spend my free time :)
dude i didnt even know allegheny had an aquarium society. i think im too sketched out by it to join. they must specialize in like arctic fishes. like the one that has antifreeze running through its veins.

Bananariot 06-24-2012 10:07 AM

http://www.orgsites.com/ny/arvas/

lol. They don't have shrimps in their repertoire yet last auction....I'm gonna change that

pandamonium 06-24-2012 10:13 AM

hahaha this could be fun. i think this is the church rachel goes to as well. im not doing fish up at school unless its like nano tanks. maybe ill do a nano reef tank 2nd semester when i have nothing on my plate.

Bananariot 06-24-2012 05:35 PM

You say no fish at school but it's ginna get to you lolol

speedie408 06-25-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananariot (Post 1915005)
Damn you nick, you live by my 2 shrimp sources!!!

Edit: and I was referring to panda not speedie lmao xD Forgot you guys have the same name

You confused me, but then I read your edit ;).

Panda - welcome to the club dude! See you around the meets.

pandamonium 06-25-2012 09:09 AM

haha thanks i hope ill get an email soon. these meets sound exciting and great way to share plant trimmings :)

pandamonium 07-08-2012 06:22 AM

officially a member of SFBAAPS! :) and i made my first purchase with SFBAAPS too. i met just one person and they were great! :)

Samsonitius 08-31-2012 04:22 PM

Its been 4 days and my account hasnt been activated at SFBAAPS :(