The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   55 gallon "Cheap Tank" (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180494)

Zefrik 06-19-2012 10:07 PM

55 gallon "Cheap Tank"

4 Attachment(s)
I have set up another tank. :red_mouth

I had a 55 gallon setup as an emersed tank but decided before moving to clean it out in set it up as a real planted tank once I moved. I had (still have) no money to put into this tank so I am letting things kind of just fall into place with this tank.

It has an aquaclear 70 for filtration, and it has a dual T8 shoplight sitting on the glass lid. There is no heater, co2, or fish. I add a bit of ferts every once in a while when I feel like it, and It gets a 20% water change a week. I am trying pool filter sand for the first time with this tank.

Since this tank is new algae such as diatoms are booming. And of course my ever so favorite bladder snails found there way into the tank as well.:angryfire

Zefrik 06-19-2012 10:08 PM

Btw! I am going to be changing the stand that it is on soon. I know that it probably is not at its safest on those black tables. Lol.

crazydaz 06-19-2012 11:12 PM

We all have to start our tank from some starting point, bro!! ;)

What plants do you have in there as of right now? I see a Rotala ("colorata" maybe?), a sword, a few different crypts, and a ludwigia (ovalis? repens?)....

Zefrik 06-20-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydaz (Post 1909250)
We all have to start our tank from some starting point, bro!! ;)

What plants do you have in there as of right now? I see a Rotala ("colorata" maybe?), a sword, a few different crypts, and a ludwigia (ovalis? repens?)....

Plants I have include (spelling is bound to be bad).....

Hygrophila Defformis
Java Fern
Java Windelov Fern
Egeria Densa
Rotala Indica
Oriental Sword (pink leaves)
Hygrophyla Corymbosa
Vallisneria
Ludwigia Repens (Broad Leaf)
Amazon Sword
Needle Leaf Ludwigia
Purple Cabomba (one stem)

I also have one of those dwarf lily bulbs in there waiting for it to sprout.

I am planning on adding some crypts later along with some anubias. I am taking a break from buying plants so I am having to grow my own for this tank. So I am hoping I can get some of my other plants to grow faster.

Zefrik 06-20-2012 01:16 AM

I forgot I also have rotala nanjenshan too.

Zefrik 06-22-2012 03:36 PM

I just added a sailfin pleco (or at least that is what it looks like) to this tank. I kind of had to. I had posted another thread with the story about it a while ago. He has cleaned the tank up overnight though! I am astonished!

Zefrik 07-02-2012 11:47 PM

This tank is very quickly becoming a random fish tank/ community tank. I had a 3 Harlequin Rasaboras (spelling?) 2 zebra danios and a chinese algae eater.

The plants are getting really packed, I am going to trim the plants and move some to another tank. I am really starting to get a big collection going!

Pics later if I can get them on my computer! Ahhhhg!