The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (Flooded 9/13/2012!) (

mythin 05-22-2012 03:53 AM

Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (Flooded 9/13/2012!)
Yep, another 12 gallon long thread. After seeing what everyone was doing with theirs and the cool shape of the tank I had to get one. I just got my other tank set up too, its been less than a month and Im already dropping down too much money on this new tank, oh well life is short.

Still trying to decide what I want to do with this tank, I haven't kept fish in a while, so I definitely am leaning towards minimal iwagumi with more swimming space and really short foreground plants.

Just got bored and set up a hardscape quickly just so I could snap some photo's. These are probably the stones Ill end up using but not the final hardscape layout, still working on that.

Equipment list so far:
Mr Aqua 12 Gallon Long
Brightwell Florin Volcanit Rio Escuro-XF
Some cheap T5HO dual 36" light 78w
Seiryu stones
Got a custom stand coming in tomorrow as well.

Planned Flora:
I am gonna be using pretty much exclusively e. hydropiper as my lawn, and maybe some s. repens.

I may need bigger stones?

bitFUUL 05-22-2012 04:18 AM

Perfect amount of stones. Maybe take one or two smaller stones from the left side and arrange them on the right? Sweet setup.

zonamav 05-22-2012 04:24 AM

Like the scape, these tanks are super cool. Seems like a lot of light though unless you are raising it quite a bit?

Centromochlus 05-22-2012 04:26 AM

I think the stones are a perfect size! Looks amazing. Though i do think that due to the length of the tank, you need some more stones on the right to balance it out. I'm all for negative space but i think for this type of tank you really need something on the right side. The arrangement is also very nice.

Can't wait to see this tank all planted!

Kai808 05-22-2012 11:44 AM

Wow great start! I'm not familiar with e. hydropiper, or maybe I mistook it for glosso. I 'm very interested to see how it carpets! :)

gotplants 05-22-2012 06:34 PM

Nice layout of the rocks. If it were me, I'd make a big slope/hill in the middle of the tank and put the rocks there. And maybe 2 or 3 smaller ones laid out somewhere else.

2in10 05-22-2012 06:38 PM

Nice looking boredom response.

rocksmom 05-22-2012 06:47 PM

I like the layout too, but I agree that there should be a couple small ones on the right side. Do you know what you're using for filtration? I debated on getting one of these tanks, but the lighting and filtration intimidated me. I ended up with a 25g cube instead.

etane 05-22-2012 07:34 PM

I disagree. I think once the lawn grows out the "flatness" in the right will look pretty good. The rock on the very very left looks a bit out of place tho. It also looks kinda like a frog to me.

jreich 05-22-2012 10:00 PM

I love this shape of tank, ur off to a great start so far, but i think ur rocks are to far over to the left.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

mythin 05-22-2012 11:48 PM

Picked up my stand today and its the perfect size, maybe a half an each leeway on both sides, picked up locally for $40 bucks, definitely got lucky there. It does need to be repainted, but I may get lazy and not repaint it.

Redid the hardscape a bit, I dont know about that rock on the right still, I may move it to the back right behind the 2 main rocks, and leave it perfectly flat on the right.

Should be getting my e. hydropiper in tomorrow from tom barr, and I got some more coming in later this week too from another tpt user, man 2 golfball portions set me back $70 bucks.

Dry starting soon!

gotplants 05-23-2012 01:49 AM

Scape looks 100% better than the first pic. That seiryu on the right does look out of place. If you're going to do the scape like that, I'd remove the right stone and just plant there.

meowschwitz 05-23-2012 02:00 AM

Or maybe add one or two more small rocks on the right. Just a single rock does look out of place.

tharsis 05-23-2012 02:31 AM

I really like the left rock grouping, it looks really perfect IMO. I think the right rock looks a little weird though and somewhat unsettling...why is it all alone? Is it lonely way out there??

I think that you can balance it by using taller plants on the right instead of more rocks...perhaps make a little hill over there and have DHG or something taller, with HC in the middle flats.

Just my opinion :)

Man I really want to get one of these tanks though, they are so cool. Looking forward to the progression on this badboy, good job!

mythin 05-23-2012 11:59 PM

Went home for lunch and there was a package from Tom sitting there, I finally got my first batch of hydropiper. I wanted to start planting it, but it will have to wait til after I get home from work. It does look like its gonna be a pos to plant, it has super long roots, perhaps even longer than my substrate is deep, I heard its a good rooter, but wow its root structure is so nice, for such a tiny leaf, it looks like it has erio style roots.