The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Critique my Iwagumi layout (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177205)

wastedtime 05-21-2012 07:01 PM

Critique my Iwagumi layout
 
Over the weekend I played around with some layouts and came up with this. Let me know what you guys think.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/IMAG0223.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/IMAG0222.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/IMAG0221.jpg

smokaah 05-21-2012 07:34 PM

I vote #2

JMex 05-22-2012 03:27 AM

I really like #2. #3 is a close second

mcqueenesq 05-22-2012 03:29 AM

Great rocks. #1

Li@m 05-22-2012 09:39 AM

#4 looks the best in terms of both sides linking together in the scape.

What ever scape you use, im sure it will look great :proud:

Bunfoo 05-22-2012 12:32 PM

#4.

#3 is almost the same I think? But that smooth sided stone doesn't look right.
#1 is too symmetrical IMO.
#2 is nice but the left makeup looks too man-made.

wastedtime 05-22-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokaah (Post 1871214)
I vote #2

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMex (Post 1871883)
I really like #2. #3 is a close second

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcqueenesq (Post 1871890)
Great rocks. #1

Thanks for your replies. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li@m (Post 1872156)
#4 looks the best in terms of both sides linking together in the scape.

What ever scape you use, im sure it will look great :proud:

Thanks, I purchased some 30 pounds of stone from a member here. I plan on doing a hardscape only shrimp tank sometime this summer, I need to get the hardscape set before going any further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunfoo (Post 1872210)
#4.

#3 is almost the same I think? But that smooth sided stone doesn't look right.
#1 is too symmetrical IMO.
#2 is nice but the left makeup looks too man-made.

Thanks for your opinions, this is extremely helpful.

I like #4 too. 3 is the same except for the smooth stone,
#1 the stones on the right are too big and seem to take your attention away from the center.

Bunfoo 05-22-2012 01:21 PM

On second thought, try switchling the left-most rock on #4 to face the other way. Looking at it hard #4 resembles a smaller of the first, looks a bit strange. flipping the rock may also help add more directional tension and bring the piece to attract the eyes to overall.

wastedtime 05-22-2012 01:29 PM

Do you mean the one on the front or the one that is pictured in red or green.? I would think green.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t...2at92600AM.png

Em85 05-22-2012 03:29 PM

#4. I agree with Bunfoo, #1 is too symmetrical.

babyboyblue 05-22-2012 04:14 PM

Number 3 or 4.

neueklare_ein 05-22-2012 05:37 PM

No. 4 looks like the right one!

salmon 05-22-2012 07:29 PM

id say #3 or #4. good hardscaping either way!

two pointers to mention. mock-scapes tend look way different prior to adding substrate so try to keep that in mind. also, make sure you wet or spray those rocks before settling on a scape (if you havn't already), quite surprising what a bit of water can do to change the appearance/color/texture of them, i forgot this step in my recent layout and i ended up with an very unwanted white patch on one stone. :mad:

Bunfoo 05-22-2012 07:45 PM

Yup, the green one. :)

wastedtime 05-22-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboyblue (Post 1872440)
Number 3 or 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em85 (Post 1872372)
#4. I agree with Bunfoo, #1 is too symmetrical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neueklare_ein (Post 1872565)
No. 4 looks like the right one!

:proud:

Thanks for the opinion guys, I will go home and make some changes and post more up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmon (Post 1872711)
id say #3 or #4. good hardscaping either way!

two pointers to mention. mock-scapes tend look way different prior to adding substrate so try to keep that in mind. also, make sure you wet or spray those rocks before settling on a scape (if you havn't already), quite surprising what a bit of water can do to change the appearance/color/texture of them, i forgot this step in my recent layout and i ended up with an very unwanted white patch on one stone. :mad:

Thanks for the tip, Once I have the hardscape nailed down. I am going to be trying 3 different substrates, not sure how I am going to do that, but the idea will be to simulate the textures and color contrasts.

I washed all the stones and didnt find odd patches as such, but I will mist them and take a look before i finalize it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunfoo (Post 1872729)
Yup, the green one. :)

Cool, I'll post a pic up of the flipped one once I get home. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.