The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   flame moss help! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176502)

babydragons 05-15-2012 05:20 AM

flame moss help!

Ok so here is the deal. My dad hadd ordered a small batch of flame moss from a seller on ebay (no one here:icon_lol:) and it came pretty much brown and ugly and dead looking. It was super cheap with free shipping which is why he figured he would try since he knew I was kinda looking into it. Well I have it in a little tupperware container right now hoping that it will spring back to life a little bit since some of it looks slightly more green. I refuse to contact seller since it was so cheap and seller had bad reviews. (My dad was trying so hard to be nice) So is there any way I can help whats left come back to life? Should I put it in the tank?

babydragons 05-15-2012 05:21 AM

Oh the tupperware has tank water in it and has a hole in the top. Ive been putting it in a window that gets direct sunlight for a few hours during the day. Idk if that helps

Bunfoo 05-15-2012 05:26 AM

Put in an airstone for water flow. Stagnant water is not good for moss if it's tank water. Good flow will work miracles! I'd clip off all the obviously dead parts and just to to work with the green bits, even if they're small.

babydragons 05-15-2012 05:28 AM

Thanks a bunch! Ill get to clipping and the pet store for an air stone!

StrungOut 05-15-2012 06:04 AM

I'd just search for new moss through the swap and shop, sure someone has it out there. It'll take forever to revive. Definitely contact seller as you paid for it, you should get what you paid for. Or try growing it emmersed in the tuppleware.

mfurufuru 05-15-2012 06:21 AM

Also moss usually like cooler temp so besure the sun isnt heating the moss up too much.

al4n 05-15-2012 08:45 AM

put it in the tank it will be fine..

acitydweller 05-15-2012 02:56 PM

bear in mind, the brown stuff isnt necessarily dead so go too trim happy :)

The dead stuff looks like black string.

wastedtime 05-15-2012 03:51 PM

Flame moss is a slow grower under low light conditions, If you have a tank with Co2 i would suggest you put in in there, It will bounce back faster. Also moss are resilient they dont die off easily.

You can always put it in a breeder box and hang it inside your tank.

babydragons 05-16-2012 03:58 AM

I'm definitely going to look into the breeder box idea. Really want this stuff to come back

150EH 05-16-2012 04:24 AM

All mosses are very resilient but do like cool water with CO2 and tons of light if you can provide it, after you wash it, trim it, and get light to the green areas it should start to turn around. You can also take a portion of it and chop it finely and then rub it onto the rock/wood you like and then place in a covered tank with a half inch of water, like a dry start tank, after 10 days you will have moss growing on the item, it will still require light in this covered tank, research the dry start method/DSM.

gordonrichards 05-16-2012 04:27 AM

Seller was from Asia perhaps?

-Gordon

boolz 10-16-2012 06:04 AM

The same happened to me, I had a few flame mosses shipped and they looked all brown and tiny, nothing like the ones you see in pictures. Three weeks under strong light with good filtration, cool water, and co2 did the trick. They now look great! I attach them to rocks with moss cotton and use them as background. They grow upwards nice and bushy.

D-raw 10-17-2012 01:46 PM

Same thing happened to me, I never want to buy from ebay again

babydragons 10-17-2012 03:27 PM

There was no helping the moss I had gotten from this guy. Maybe if i had co2 it would have worked better. I just threw it out and bought some from a guy on here. And it came much better :)