The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Washington (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Anyone in kitsap county? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176001)

Miles 05-10-2012 11:47 PM

Anyone in kitsap county?

Just wondering if there were any TPT members on this side of the water!

-Miles

Seattle_Aquarist 05-11-2012 01:36 AM

Hi Miles,

There are a few of GSAS members on the Peninsula and on the Islands and at least one plant grower. I don't know if any are on TPT since most folks use alias.....lol.

-Roy

Miles 05-11-2012 07:05 AM

I was thinking about joining GSAS, the trouble is getting over to that side of the water. I'll hopefully get around to it this summer so I can meet up with some of those people! I'm mainly looking for someone local who has some nice exotic plants and is willing to sell them

Seattle_Aquarist 05-11-2012 04:07 PM

Hi Miles,

A lot of our GSAS members are into planted tanks and creating biotopes. As a result, in addition to our other internationally known speakers like Ad Konings (cichlids) and Gary Lange (rainbowfish), GSAS has hosted some excellent planted aquarium speakers in the last few years including Tom Barr (The Barr Report), Karen Randall (AGA), Ghazanfar Ghori (crypts), Luis Navarro (aquascaping), and Oliver Lucanus (biotopes). Most of our speakers have graciously allowed us to video record (most recently in Blu-ray) their presentations and they are available to our members on DVD from our GSAS Library or via BitTorrent download from our website.

Exotic plants you asked? At our 'mini-auction' after the meeting last Tuesday evening there were Erios, Pogostemon (3 species including erectus and helferi), Ludwigia sp 'Red', HC, Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia', Limnophila (3 species including 'mini'), Rotalas (3 or 4 species), and a multitude of others. If you want to chat plants and fish with local northwest folk (and some of our past speakers) check out 'airstone', you don't have to be a member to chat. Of course there is the GSAS Facebook page but it is pretty quiet compared to 'airstone'.

Seattle_Aquarist 05-12-2012 04:27 PM

Hi Miles,

I was advised by some of our longer term GSAS members that up until about 2000 there used to be a Kitsap Aquarium Society. There are some references to it on Google.

Miles 05-13-2012 07:21 AM

Yeah i'll for sure try to get out to one of those meetings this year, there's probably a bus from edmonds or seattle to the meeting place. I don't want to spend all that money taking my car on, I'd rather spend that on plants!

Thanks for the replies!

--Miles

Guyver 08-01-2012 07:31 PM

I just moved to Silverdale 2 months ago. PM me!

Erxkeel 05-07-2013 03:44 PM

Silverdale long time resident here! Very interested!

Seattle_Aquarist 05-07-2013 05:16 PM

I hope you all can start up a small group or club....if there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

-Roy

Calmia22 05-13-2013 11:47 AM

It looks like my husband and I will be moving to Kitsap county. Were looking at Poulsbo, Bremerton, or Port Orchard.

Sonvar 08-30-2013 07:00 PM

sorry for the late post, but I am in Kitsap. Im trying to get into shrimps and I am a novice at planted tanks, mostly limited by wife enforced budget.
If you have any plants or shrimp to sell or trade, I am interested.

Guyver 09-12-2013 08:21 PM

Sonvar, I have plants and shrimp. Let me know via PM if you'd like to meet somewhere and sell/trade.

WalaxR 01-16-2014 05:26 PM

Just joined from Bremerton! Hello all.

Guyver 01-16-2014 05:31 PM

Welcome! I'm in Silverdale. What tanks do you have? Give WAFishBox a look too, they're a good local forum.

Seattle_Aquarist 01-16-2014 10:22 PM

Hi WalaxR,

If you get a chance check out GSAS; our members are into all sorts of freshwater species, planted tanks and creating biotopes. As a result, in addition to our other internationally known speakers like Ad Konings (cichlids) and Gary Lange (rainbowfish), GSAS has hosted some excellent planted aquarium speakers in the last few years including Tom Barr (The Barr Report), Karen Randall (AGA), Ghazanfar Ghori (crypts), Luis Navarro (aquascaping), and Oliver Lucanus (biotopes). Most of our speakers have graciously allowed us to video record (most recently in Blu-ray) their presentations and they are available to our members on DVD from our GSAS Library or via BitTorrent download from our website.

Exotic plants you asked? At our 'mini-auction' after the meeting last Tuesday evening there were Erios, Pogostemon (3 species including erectus and helferi), Ludwigia sp 'Red', HC, Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia', Limnophila (3 species including 'mini'), Rotalas (3 or 4 species), and a multitude of others. If you want to chat plants and fish with local northwest folk (and some of our past speakers) check out 'airstone', you don't have to be a member to chat. Of course there is the GSAS Facebook page but it is pretty quiet compared to 'airstone'.