The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Colorado (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Aquarium plants in Denver (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175039)

DenverTankCollector 05-02-2012 10:49 PM

Aquarium plants in Denver

I stopped by the Aquatic Dog, 7429 E. Iliff Ave, Denver (Iliff Ave at Quebec). It's fish department has more plants than any place I have seen in Colorado. Every tank has three or four different plants, clearly labeled and priced. I was impressed. I spent too much money, but it is hard to see things I have only read about on display and well priced. If you have a planted tank, this is well worth a stop. Some good discus prices also. It is right down the block from the Denver Dumb Friends League, hence the Aquatic Dog name, so I adopted some plants!

chizamp 05-02-2012 10:57 PM

I have never heard of the Aquatic Dog. Is it new? I will have to check it out sometime, sounds great. Thanks for the info!

cale42 05-03-2012 03:55 AM

I've never heard of it either.. but not that far from me I'll have to go check it out.

There website says they have been there since 1990.. but they look to mainly be a dog shop. Under their fish section though it says they just got in Red Crystal Shrimp.. not exactly a routine find for a dog shop.

Eden Marel 05-03-2012 04:34 AM

They also sometimes have Blue Dot Matano Shrimp....

Noahma 05-03-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverTankCollector (Post 1845288)
I stopped by the Aquatic Dog, 7429 E. Iliff Ave, Denver (Iliff Ave at Quebec). It's fish department has more plants than any place I have seen in Colorado. Every tank has three or four different plants, clearly labeled and priced. I was impressed. I spent too much money, but it is hard to see things I have only read about on display and well priced. If you have a planted tank, this is well worth a stop. Some good discus prices also. It is right down the block from the Denver Dumb Friends League, hence the Aquatic Dog name, so I adopted some plants!

Ive only been in there a couple times, the people that run the shop are very nice though. If you ahve a chance to make it up north here, check out Aqua Imports in Boulder. they tend to stock pretty heavy in the two large tanks with plants. They get picked over really quick, so I would call in first to see when the last time they got plants in. Also D&G up in ft. collins have around 20ish tanks just for plants. I always get there when the plants are looking their poorest though.

zimbo 05-06-2012 03:07 AM

Well i swung by Aquatic Dog today since i'd never been either. Maybe they are down on stock since the original post, but can't say i was terribly impressed. Sure a lot of the stores around town don't carry much of anything, but plants were quite pricy for what they did have. From all the nosing around the state i've done with medical rotations this year I'd still say D and G Pets in Fort collins, and Aqua Imports tend to have the best selections on a routine basis. Todd's in Aurora usually has plants depending on who's offloading extras, but i tend to sell him more stuff than i buy, and i'd never go near the livestock with all the dead fish in there.