The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquatic Gardeners Association (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   2012 AGA Convention - Nov 1-4 - St. Louis (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174691)

BigMOCats 04-30-2012 02:15 AM

2012 AGA Convention - Nov 1-4 - St. Louis

The Missouri Aquarium Society, Inc. is proud to announce that we will be hosting the Aquatic Gardeners Association 2012 Convention right here in St. Louis on November 1 - 4, 2012.

The convention will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Airport. See the link to the right to reserve a room. There is a free 24-hour shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

We'll have a great lineup of speakers--Prof. Niels Jacobsen of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, eminent authority on Cryptocoryne species, will be the keynote speaker. Also featured will be Kris Weinhold, Brandon McLane of Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Tom Barr, and MORE! Speaker talks and bios coming soon!

This year we're going to have a Live Aquascaping Workshop. Under the guidance of a mentor, you can create your own nano aquascape to take home with you. Includes tank, all equipment, hardscape, and plants. (We're still negotiating the final price on this event, so stay tuned.)

Also new this year will be a Photo Contest - "Planted Tanks, Plants and Blooms". Winner announced and prize awarded at the Saturday Banquet.

For the first time ever, we've got two days of Field Trips. Come a day early and join us for the Thursday Field Trip to the St. Louis Zoo and nearby St. Louis Art Museum. At the zoo, we are trying to make arrangements for a free "behind the scenes" tour with a zoo employee who is a member of MASI. The Art Museum tour will be led by a docent who will focus on aquatic plant themes and fish/wildlife.

Thursday night, everyone is invited to a locally-sourced wine-and-cheese reception down the street from the hotel at Jerry Jost's business, Jost Chemical, including a tour of his spectacular fish room/laboratory with twin 90-gallon tanks that alone are worth the trip.

Friday's Field Trip will be to the fabulous Missouri Botanical Garden. Transportation and basic entry fees are included for both Field Trips. Lunch is on your own, but there are plenty of places to choose from.

Friday, November 2th, the presentations will begin in the evening and continue through Saturday afternoon. Saturday night's banquet will feature Niels Jacobsen speaking on his "Wanderings in the Great Forests of SE Asia," and of course the 2012 AGA Aquascaping Contest Winners!

And finally on Sunday November 4th, there is a huge all-day Plant Auction. This is certainly the biggest and best plant auction in the US, with plenty of options for the beginner and advanced hobbyist.
There will also be vendors, raffles, t-shirts, etc.

For more info: http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter @AGA2012STL.

Register by September 1st to be entered in a drawing to win a Tunze CO2 Controller, a $400 value!

AaronT 04-30-2012 02:28 AM

I'm planning on going. Who else will be there?

Seattle_Aquarist 04-30-2012 02:35 AM

You know, I may just have to go to this one since I grew up in St. Louis and was a MASI member back in the 1970's! It sounds like it will be an awesome event; I know that several GSAS members are planning to attend!

dxiong5 04-30-2012 03:04 AM

Hopefully my schedule is open around that time - never been to an AGA convention, but I think I'll be able to learn quite a bit from it, plus meet folks and put faces to forum names. I actually met Kris Weinhold last weekend here in Madison, WI; he gave an excellent talk on the high tech approach to planted tanks and I definitely learned something.

Side note: Does anyone know when the AGA Aquascaping contest will open?

AaronT 04-30-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dxiong5 (Post 1841336)
Hopefully my schedule is open around that time - never been to an AGA convention, but I think I'll be able to learn quite a bit from it, plus meet folks and put faces to forum names. I actually met Kris Weinhold last weekend here in Madison, WI; he gave an excellent talk on the high tech approach to planted tanks and I definitely learned something.

Side note: Does anyone know when the AGA Aquascaping contest will open?

I know the contest closes sometime in September usually. Isn't it open for entries now?

Seattle_Aquarist 04-30-2012 06:32 PM

Hi Aaron,

I think it opens around mid-June or early July; I guess I need to come up with some ideas!

Da Plant Man 05-04-2012 10:07 PM

I'm going! :)

plantbrain 05-04-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronT (Post 1841255)
I'm planning on going. Who else will be there?

I suppose I better go if I'm speaking.:icon_cool

crazydaz 05-05-2012 03:36 AM

I will be there for most of the days....Thursday will be tough, but will be there for the other days. I just moved from there back in October and it's an easy drive from Nashville.

rainbowfishes 05-05-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist (Post 1841268)
You know, I may just have to go to this one since I grew up in St. Louis and was a MASI member back in the 1970's! It sounds like it will be an awesome event; I know that several GSAS members are planning to attend!

G'day Roy,

I heard at least one of the GSAS members say that they found some great rates with Alaska airlines from Seattle to St. Louis. Hope you'll make plans to come down with the others. I'll make you deal. Drag two other GSAS members with you and I'll drive you over for a private tour of the rainbowfish ranch. Kathy and Erik don't count as they are already going. I'm only 15 minutes away or less from the show site. And we can always make a detour tI wouldn't say that every tank is a planted masterpiece but most have plants and about a dozen are on CO2. Having a decent background of plants makes rainbowfish go from kind of nice looking to WOW, like my Heiko fish below. These guys never fail to keep visitors entertained. Hope to see you again in St. Louis.

cheers,
Gary Lange
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w..._1280_8195.jpg

Tinanti 05-10-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantbrain (Post 1848346)
I suppose I better go if I'm speaking.:icon_cool

Me too. :)

Centromochlus 05-10-2012 04:04 AM

I hope to be able to make it. Too early to know though.

BigMOCats 05-10-2012 04:59 AM

Update on the Aquascaping Workshop

The tank is the Fluval Flora (7.5 gal). It retails for about $100, and includes the light, filter, CO2 system, glass cover, and substrate. You also get rocks, driftwood, and plants. If you are flying in, you can have your tank shipped home for about $15. There are only 18 slots for this workshop, so register EARLY if you are interested.

See ya in St. Louis!!

rainbowfishes 05-18-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmocats (Post 1855742)
the tank is the fluval flora (7.5 gal). It retails for about $100, and includes the light, filter, co2 system, glass cover, and substrate. You also get rocks, driftwood, and plants. If you are flying in, you can have your tank shipped home for about $15. There are only 18 slots for this workshop, so register early if you are interested.

See ya in st. Louis!!

only 13 slots left!

plantbrain 05-19-2012 04:34 AM

I'll bring some weeds to fill some of the tanks and for the AGA/Local club.
This will include some of the coveted Elatine hydropiper.

Maybe something else cool.