The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/)
-   -   My very first aquarium (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/173975-my-very-first-aquarium.html)

thenameless 04-24-2012 02:03 AM

My very first aquarium

6 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

this aquarium has been running for 2 years and few months now(got it in Jan 2010). I finally decided to start my journal,about time right,lol.
it's nothing fancy, looks more like jungle:hihi:. i replanted it few times over the time, i know it looks noobish even after the two years i had it, i just like it that way. i have learned a lot from it though, especially about the plants and their needs, i have been growing low to mid light plants. had trouble when i was using that aqueon 15w light that came with the kit, last year i finally got better light and it helped a lot and recently i have started using fertilizers and that's even better. and i have to thank this forum(YOU GUYS) for a lots of ideas!!!i also have a 10g tank, which is housing swordtail fry and some plants as well(i'll make another journal about it too later on).i want to go bigger so im currently looking for a larger tank - i'd love to have more fish and plants(it's addicting as all of you know :biggrin:). i guess that's all i have to say for now. i'll be glad for any comments....

Equipment:
Aqueon 20g tank
Zoomed 2x24W light
Aqueon heater 100w
Aqueon quietflow filter 20
Gravel from petco

Fertilizers:
PPS - Pro method
Root tabs

Fish:
1x Common Pleco (Pterygoplichtys pardalis)
3x Red wag swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri)
5x Sarpae tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)
6x Neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
1x Peppered cory (Corydoras paleatus

Plants:
Amazon Swords (Echinodorus amazonicus)
Anubias barteri var. nana
Dwarf sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)
Giant Vallis (Vallisneria gigantea)
Aponogeton crispus
Egeria densa
Java fern (Microsorum pteropus)
unknow plant

i took these pictures today after WC

Attachment 46199
Attachment 46200
Attachment 46201
Attachment 46202
Attachment 46203
this is a picture of my pleco(working on a bigger tank for him). he has been with me since the beginning.

Attachment 46204
and my cory(need to get him some friends i know)

that's all for now

JAN

bighollywood 04-24-2012 03:20 AM

very nice

rollntider 04-24-2012 06:10 AM

nice tank, that unknown plant looks like anacharis

thenameless 04-24-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighollywood (Post 1832658)
very nice

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollntider (Post 1832886)
nice tank, that unknown plant looks like anacharis

thanks, anacharis is egeria densa if im not mistaken. i have another one its in the back that i dont know the name... you cant really see it.

CatB 04-24-2012 10:41 PM

beautiful!
only one problem that i can see: that common pleco is gonna get HUGE, and they're known for uprooting plants. a 20 gallon is way too small for it. i'd exchange or sell it if you can, and get a bristlenose pleco instead.
EDIT: actually, i noticed you only have one cory cat... they're a lot more fun/lively in groups! i'd get at least a couple more of them, maybe instead of a bristlenose. i guess that depends on how much algae you need eaten though (go for the BN if you get a lot of algae).

EDIT EDIT: my bad, didn't see you already were trying to get a bigger home for him. awesome :D

GMYukonon24s 04-25-2012 12:25 AM

Nice tank. I see that your looking for a new spot for the pleco. Also like you were saying I agree with getting more cories.

thenameless 04-26-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatB (Post 1833769)
beautiful!
only one problem that i can see: that common pleco is gonna get HUGE, and they're known for uprooting plants. a 20 gallon is way too small for it. i'd exchange or sell it if you can, and get a bristlenose pleco instead.
EDIT: actually, i noticed you only have one cory cat... they're a lot more fun/lively in groups! i'd get at least a couple more of them, maybe instead of a bristlenose. i guess that depends on how much algae you need eaten though (go for the BN if you get a lot of algae).

EDIT EDIT: my bad, didn't see you already were trying to get a bigger home for him. awesome :D

yeah, i know he will get huge, i really like him though, just have to get him bigger tank. i used to have 5 cory cats, but 4 of them died:( so i have this lonely cory now, but i'll get him some friends soon.

thenameless 04-26-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s (Post 1833952)
Nice tank. I see that your looking for a new spot for the pleco. Also like you were saying I agree with getting more cories.

thanks. yeah i want him to have enough room so he can grow, i know he is gonna get big. yeah the cories look great when in group, just need to make some space for them. hopefully i can get some bigger tank soon.