The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   36" LED Build (worth it?) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173886)

Kwitzats 04-23-2012 12:58 PM

36" LED Build (worth it?)
 
I am planning an led light for a freshwater 46 gal bowfront. This is what ive come up with so far.
36 inches of Makersled Heatsink 165 (this heatsink is way cool!)
4x Meanwell eln-60-48D 140
Dim4 controller 85
8x warm white xpg led 24
32x cool white xpg led 144
12x royal blue led 41
2x violet led 11
plus misc items VAR$

arranged like this
c c w c w c c c c w c w c c c=cool white
w= warm white
c b c b c b c b c b c v c b b= royal blue
v= violet
b c v c b c b c b c b c b c

c c w c w c c c c w c w c c note all royal blues on one driver

now this comes to about $640.00 with one dim4
$730 with two dim4 for mid afternoon clouds with moonlighting
or $1050.00 with an apex and diy cat5 (this would keep me entertained for a while)

So my question is is this adequate or overkill (im thinkin at least 7500 lumens)
would something like this be equevalentish <---I know ?
[Ebay Link Removed] for 550ish
or is it easiest to go with ?
[Ebay Link Removed] 6xt5 with moon leds and timer for 180ish

Am I missing anything?
What the heck is inrush?
ever hear of an 18 conductor power cord ? (just trying to figure wiring options)
would it be worth it, kepping in mind I can afford it but the wife will not be very happy?
Should i spend more and go with XM-L leds?

Thanks for any help.

Kwitzats 04-23-2012 01:01 PM

formating changed but its 4 rows of 14 LEDs with the center rows zigzaged with respect to driver and all blues on one driver.

carpalstunna 04-23-2012 01:08 PM

wow, thats alot of LEDS, WHY SO MANY!!?? have you researched what you need for a 46 gallon tank. for my 55 gallon, I have come up with needing about 10 xpg cool whites underdriven at 1000ma to get 40-50 Par at the substrate. Are you building a steam oven with that thing?

also ebay links wont work here, FYI

Kwitzats 04-23-2012 01:11 PM

Description of first linlk(removed)
This fixture will automatically dim to imitate the rise and set of the sun. There are 5 different modes pre-programmed into the fixture.

Manual dimming of the fixture can be easily done to acclimate your corals in a stress-free environment.




You can also dim the actinics, whites and moonlights to your liking.





LED type: Bridgelux (cree available in my other auctions of unit.)

White 14000k: 18 pcs

blue 460nm: 12 pcs

Blue 453: 6 pcs



Angle: 60 degree
Control of unit: LCD screen mounted on unit, remote up to 10 feet and a manual dimmer mounted on the fixture.
Warranty: 2 years
Lifespan: 50 000hrs +
Actual unit size: 35.5 inches x 9.5 inches x 2.5 inches

Kwitzats 04-23-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpalstunna (Post 1831638)
wow, thats alot of LEDS, WHY SO MANY!!?? have you researched what you need for a 46 gallon tank. for my 55 gallon, I have come up with needing about 10 xpg cool whites underdriven at 1000ma to get 40-50 Par at the substrate. Are you building a steam oven with that thing?

also ebay links wont work here, FYI

Maybe but the tank is pretty deep i think 20 inches id certainly be happy with fewer leds and drivers, i do want glosso, not sure what par id need.

carpalstunna 04-23-2012 01:18 PM

just guessing but I think 2 rows of 10 spaced evenly 3 inches apart would be a more resonable number. You can still get all the extras you want, dimmers, programmers etc etc.

check out this kit, everythink you need for 185 except heatsink, you can add any programmer you want to that.
http://www.rapidled.com/24-ultra-pre...mable-drivers/

ps my tank is 22inches deep, which I think is 2 inches deaper than yours. If you did that 24 led kit that actually probably too much light too and you would have to dim it back a little but its more reasonable and will keep you from getting a divorce.

prototyp3 04-23-2012 02:15 PM

Extreme overkill. Too many LEDs and too expensive. At that price you're better off buying a nice LED light.
And I always suggest checking out LEDs in person before making the purchase.

depech 04-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpalstunna (Post 1831649)
just guessing but I think 2 rows of 10 spaced evenly 3 inches apart would be a more resonable number. You can still get all the extras you want, dimmers, programmers etc etc.

check out this kit, everythink you need for 185 except heatsink, you can add any programmer you want to that.
http://www.rapidled.com/24-ultra-pre...mable-drivers/

ps my tank is 22inches deep, which I think is 2 inches deaper than yours. If you did that 24 led kit that actually probably too much light too and you would have to dim it back a little but its more reasonable and will keep you from getting a divorce.


Are you familiar with their products? I'm interested in their PAR38 bulbs, http://www.rapidled.com/7-led-par38-...ll-white-leds/
Do they work with Home depot work light fixtures?

carpalstunna 04-23-2012 02:52 PM

those will work in any standard light socket. rapid led sells mostly cree and meanwell products which are very reputable names.

hbosman 04-23-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpalstunna (Post 1831649)
just guessing but I think 2 rows of 10 spaced evenly 3 inches apart would be a more resonable number. You can still get all the extras you want, dimmers, programmers etc etc.

check out this kit, everythink you need for 185 except heatsink, you can add any programmer you want to that.
http://www.rapidled.com/24-ultra-pre...mable-drivers/

ps my tank is 22inches deep, which I think is 2 inches deaper than yours. If you did that 24 led kit that actually probably too much light too and you would have to dim it back a little but its more reasonable and will keep you from getting a divorce.

What lenses would you suggest for this kit and a 36" wide x 20" high x 18" deep tank?

carpalstunna 04-23-2012 03:03 PM

depends on where you are hanging the fixture, if its going to be right over the tank, I would do 80 degree optics for a more even spread, if you are going to be hanging higher off the tank you could go with a more focused optic. Hoppy has a thread with a calculation for specifics on this kind of thing, I am just using my best guess based on what I found. I will be doing 80s on my build.

hbosman 04-23-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpalstunna (Post 1831742)
depends on where you are hanging the fixture, if its going to be right over the tank, I would do 80 degree optics for a more even spread, if you are going to be hanging higher off the tank you could go with a more focused optic. Hoppy has a thread with a calculation for specifics on this kind of thing, I am just using my best guess based on what I found. I will be doing 80s on my build.

Thanks.

Hoppy 04-23-2012 04:30 PM

Read this and see if it helps: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-tank-led.html

hbosman 04-23-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 1831830)

Thanks Hoppy.

Linsanity 04-23-2012 05:26 PM

I have a 46 bow in cycling for a week without a light, I really want LED but I can't DIY so I just wait for Marineland or other fixture to come out in May. $1K for DIY is way too expensive.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.