The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Tank drilling around Philly? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=172381)

ElBoltonero 04-11-2012 03:23 AM

Tank drilling around Philly?

I realize this might be a question better on a reefer forum or some such, buuuuut I'm not a reefer, so here goes...

Anyone know of somewhere hereabouts that will drill tanks? Got a crazy idea that requires 2 or 3 inch holes and don't want to spend a fortune for a drill bit.

discusonly 04-11-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElBoltonero (Post 1813608)
I realize this might be a question better on a reefer forum or some such, buuuuut I'm not a reefer, so here goes...

Anyone know of somewhere hereabouts that will drill tanks? Got a crazy idea that requires 2 or 3 inch holes and don't want to spend a fortune for a drill bit.

How big of a hole you need? I have a diamond bit that you can use. Noticed I said use cause I am not taking on the responsibility of destroying your tank. Just make sure your tank can be drilled.

ElBoltonero 04-11-2012 01:17 PM

Oh they'll be 10s or 15Hs, so no tempered glass or anything, and nothing expensive. And I'd need 3" holes, preferably, 2" if I have no choice.

discusonly 04-11-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElBoltonero (Post 1813973)
Oh they'll be 10s or 15Hs, so no tempered glass or anything, and nothing expensive. And I'd need 3" holes, preferably, 2" if I have no choice.

Let me check the bit for you. I know it's not 3". Maybe 2" but will have to check. You are drilling on the side correct?

ElBoltonero 04-11-2012 02:09 PM

Correct

GitMoe 04-11-2012 02:32 PM

Doylestown Glass Company will drill glass for you. At least they did a while ago. Haven't been there in years. It's also maybe far depending where "Phillyish" exactly is for you. There's another glass company in Norristown but I've never dealt with them.

ElBoltonero 04-11-2012 05:31 PM

I live near 309 and 63 (Lansdaleish) and work in Oxford Valley, so anywhere near the turnpike corridor isn't bad. Norristown and Doylestown are both close.

Fishies_in_Philly 04-18-2012 11:08 PM

i wanna hear what the crazy idea is?? i'm all about crazy, just ask my family....LOL

ElBoltonero 04-19-2012 12:21 AM

I'm planning on doing a fish bridge between two aquariums because they're in a space where I can't put anything bigger. I was thinking about putting holes in the glass then running clear pipe between them, but I'm pretty sure the glass won't be able to handle near that amount of weight. I'm instead considering bending the plastic and running it up and over the tops, which is closer to my original plan. I can support it apart from the tank much easier if it's not siliconed to the tank.

We'll see, it's still in the conceptual stage at this point.

Fishies_in_Philly 04-19-2012 01:26 AM

there are bunches of articles out there about fish bridges. the one thing that i do remember is flow, without the right flow between tanks, the fish/shrimp can get stuck in the bridge.

ElBoltonero 04-19-2012 02:19 AM

Yeah I've read a ton. I'm planning on it being way overfiltered with the intake in one tank and the outtake in the other.

ElBoltonero 04-20-2012 03:44 PM

Ok, so along the same line...does anyone know where I can buy large-diameter (2" or larger) clear tubing (acrylic or clear pvc) retail?

discusonly 04-20-2012 03:53 PM

http://www.everythingplastic.net/AcrylicMaterials.html

That's the place to go for anything acrylic in the Philadelphia area. The tubing comes in 6ft length. I believe is a little over $21 for a 2" ID 6' tube.

Van

ElBoltonero 04-20-2012 07:25 PM

Do they have a retail shop though? Their website is kinda vague on the issue. I emailed them for a quote on cut acrylic sheet to make a custom tank and it was pretty high, but that's a great price for the tubing.

Fishies_in_Philly 04-20-2012 07:27 PM

Cut acrylic sheeting is going to be pricey no matter where you call. But ask van about their scrap bin :)