The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   DIY (
-   -   Attaching airline tubing..... (

Work In Progress 06-21-2003 05:52 AM

For a DIY yeast bottle thingy.......
A friend and I were discussing this and it would appear there are several ways to do it.
I have seen barbs and some plumbing fixtures listed in other posts.........and was wondering about the easiest way of attaching the cap and tube mostly.

I am sure you experts can help me out........

Wasserpest 06-21-2003 07:05 AM

There are many ways... I found mine:

I use one of the black dripline connectors that have barbs on both ends.
I cut it in half (carefully, with a sharp knife), so one is actually good for two bottles!!!
I drill a hole into the bottle cap that is just a little bit smaller than the black thingy (so I can push it in with a little effort)
I add a little adhesive glue to the black thingy, and push it into the hole (with some pliers, or pushing the cap against something sturdy). The glue is pushed out on the sides and provides a tight seal.
Then I let it dry for 12 hours. Okay no I don't, but maybe it would be a good idea.
So now you have the bottle cap with the barbed thingy... time to push the airline over it and screw it onto the bottle.

Works every time. I tried Rex' method using only the airline, but wasn't that successful.

Wasserpest :mrgreen:

Rex Grigg 06-21-2003 12:40 PM

Drill a hole smaller than the tubing in the cap. I have found that a 11/64th hole works great with the normal green silicone tubing. Then cut the tubing at an angle. Thread the end of the tubing into the hole and pull it the rest of the way through with pliers. It should be VERY HARD to pull though. If you have drilled the hole the right size you will have a gas tight fit.

anonapersona 06-21-2003 06:24 PM

I used "Liquid Nails" clear caulk or adhesive or something that was here in the garage, from Home Depot or someplace like that. The aquarium silicone had failed and I was kind of frantic, and I used it while the unit was still going. It worked great, sealed even though the top was under slight pressure.

corey 06-22-2003 01:37 AM

Before I had my pressurize system I did the same thing Rex did. Its simple no mess and worked fine for me for years.

aquaverde 06-22-2003 01:48 AM

I was going to follow Rex's method until I found I didn't have an 11/64ths bit around. I went a little larger, and the hole was a little boogered up (juice bottle top) after I got through. I started the yeast into a Duetto filter, and the output was too much air considering how much the yeast was working. I just put a little aquarium silicone around the tube on the cap and it sealed right away.


digger 06-22-2003 04:06 PM

Some 90 second epoxy will work well if you need to plug any holes or fill any small gaps. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

aquaverde 06-22-2003 06:39 PM

Epoxy would probably be a little more bulletproof than silicone, too.

You know, if it weren't for duct tape and sealant, I would be totally inept. :wink:


JamesHoftiezer 06-29-2003 12:24 PM

I know some one on aquabid sells adpters just for this, but Rex's method will work just fine as long as its a tight fit.

If the seal isn't tight or you have a habit of pulling the hose out ( :( ) then the silicone or epoxy will work great. If you do use the silicone or epoxy just turn the hose/cap assembly upside down and apply a generous amount. In this case generaous would mean less than 1/2 TSP.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.