The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   not sure what this means...? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171310)

kjnguy3nn 04-02-2012 02:12 AM

not sure what this means...?

hey guys I haven't been on much but I have a question about this http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...401_210726.jpg.what is the brown furry like substance growing on my plant? my drift wood has very small spots of white ish colored furry also could not get a picture of it

thanks

discusonly 04-02-2012 02:41 AM

Look like you have an issue with BBA (black brush algae). The white stuff from you DW could be fungus from the wood. You can usually get rid of those with a pleco

jccaclimber 04-02-2012 03:54 AM

It means you, or a recent owner of that plant have too much light/not enough CO2. It's resulting in BBA which can be killed with spot treatments of H2O2, Fluorish Excel, or glut. However, killing it off won't fix the root issue.

kjnguy3nn 04-02-2012 07:21 AM

so I need to turn my light down? and give it alittle more co2? I use excel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

kcartwright856 04-02-2012 07:37 AM

I've never had BBA personally, but most everyone seems to say that it is an algae stemming mainly from CO2 issues. Usually either two little, or the fact that it is not consistent enough.

Do you have a drop checker? Are your bubble counts consistent?

jccaclimber 04-02-2012 12:08 PM

More Excel might cure it, of course Excel also tends to melt vals and crypts. Raising your light or decreasing the hours it is on may help. Tell us a bit more about it.

jersysman 04-02-2012 04:47 PM

I had that growing in a 10 gallon tank I had with two 13 watt CFLs. I switched to 10 watt CFLs and haven't seen much of it since. So, I agree with the too much light explanation.

Zefrik 04-02-2012 05:11 PM

I had BBA in one of my tanks. I could never get rid of it. H202, excel, co2, never went away. Take the affected plants out and burn them. I had a rock with BBA on it, I let it dry out in the sun for a week, used a scrub brush on it, put it back into a clean tank and within a week there was BBA on the rock again.

kjnguy3nn 04-02-2012 05:58 PM

that's what I might do it's only one plant with it

KingPlakat 04-02-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjnguy3nn (Post 1801337)
that's what I might do it's only one plant with it

Take that plant out immediatly and dose it with excel in a small holding container until the BBA goes away. I will do a double dose of excel on the main tank as well just to rid the water of any spores that might be floating around.

Although I don't know where it comes from...I do know that every time my java moss tank gets too much light, that's when I get the outbursts. Luckily I have a school of SAE and they keep it at bay, but when I had a huge outbreak when my Dad decided to unplug the timer so the lights were on 24/7....the whole tank was filled with it. Only after roughly have a bottle of excel and manually picking out the large clumps did it finally go away.

jccaclimber 04-02-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zefrik (Post 1801272)
I had BBA in one of my tanks. I could never get rid of it. H202, excel, co2, never went away. Take the affected plants out and burn them. I had a rock with BBA on it, I let it dry out in the sun for a week, used a scrub brush on it, put it back into a clean tank and within a week there was BBA on the rock again.

The rock isn't the problem....

Zefrik 04-03-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jccaclimber (Post 1801851)
The rock isn't the problem....

I am not saying the rock is the problem. I am saying that I had reoccurring BBA in multiple tanks after cleaning and using preventative methods.

jccaclimber 04-03-2012 02:41 AM

I'm saying that even if you did remove it from the rock completely it wouldn't matter any more than dipping it in H2O2 for a moment because the conditions will still make it come back. Things that kill it off won't keep it gone unless you fix the root issue. This applies equally to all algae, but people seem to think it applies more (or less depending on who you ask) to BBA.

kjnguy3nn 04-03-2012 06:18 AM

thanks for the input I'll keep an update

Fishies_in_Philly 04-03-2012 03:21 PM

When are we getting a new fts john?