The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Having a Tank in your Bedroom (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171106)

sAroock 03-31-2012 07:54 AM

Having a Tank in your Bedroom

Hi
im going to have a 46cm (18inch?) cube 25G in my bedroom soon. Co2 and flood LED. Im a little worried about the implication...

the room light might be a stressful thing.. turning it on whenever i enter (when the tank's light are off)
the noise...
the w/c...
any smell...

kribkeeper888 03-31-2012 07:57 AM

Hah. I have 4 in mine. The noise doesnt bother me, the light thing is true and I try to avoid it and as far as smells, a clean aquarium doesnt smell so if yours does...... lol

Aquaticfan 03-31-2012 08:10 AM

We have 3 in ours right now. No issues.

sAroock 03-31-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kribkeeper888 (Post 1798321)
Hah. I have 4 in mine. The noise doesnt bother me, the light thing is true and I try to avoid it and as far as smells, a clean aquarium doesnt smell so if yours does...... lol

the tanks in my living room doesn't smell at all, I do try keeping a healthy and neat setup. just little paranoid, because its in a smaller place, the slightest of smell can be detected.

PinoyBoy 03-31-2012 09:30 AM

I've never used LED before, but my PC light fixture is louder than my internal filter.

nodim 03-31-2012 10:35 AM

With a balanced tank, and carefully selected equipment, there are no issues with a tank in the bedroom. My wife and I like a very quiet bedroom, but we had a tank in our bedroom for about 7 years, and enjoyed it.

Never noticed "stress" due to light changing etc.

DogFish 03-31-2012 12:14 PM

Photoshock is a true problem for most fish sp. With a little thought to the room lighting it can be avoided. Also a heavily planted tank that offers hiding places will also greatly diminish the problem.

speerwashere 03-31-2012 12:48 PM

I have 3 tanks in my bedroom and use a little lamp after lights out. When I first turn it on I don't see no or few fish then 1 by 1 they come out of hiding.

josolanes 03-31-2012 01:25 PM

I have 2 in my bedroom. A 20g with co2 and high light LED and canister filter (main tank) and a low tech 10g with mini-canister and desk lamp for lighting. No smells and the tanks actually put me to sleep pretty fast lol (the slight water running sound and hum). I do avoid turning the lights on in the room when the LEDs are off. In the morning I never need to, though, as my 20g moonlight setup is pretty bright and atleast bright enough where a room light isn't needed when first waking up

mistergreen 03-31-2012 01:44 PM

Cover the tanks. You don't want your room to be too humid. All sorts of bad stuff grow in humid places.

driftwoodhunter 03-31-2012 01:47 PM

My QT tank is in my bedroom, and I'm going to be moving my two 29s in there too. One thing I do is turn the bedroom light on late in the afternoon, prior to dusk, so I'm not shocking the fish at night when I turn the lights on to get ready for bed (the QT rarely has it's light on, I use the ambient light from the windows).
Later, when the 29s are in the room, I'll be turning the tank lights on their normal cycle and it won't be an issue.

Diana 03-31-2012 01:59 PM

I have a 40 gal breeder in a small bedroom and it is no problem.
I do notice the sound from the filter when the water level is low, but that is just a reminder to top off.

The lights are on a timer, and the fish do not mind the room light. They are hiding in the plants when the tank light goes off.

I slept in a different room for a few months, where one of my tanks with a sump is located. That was a bit noisy.

Water changes are no more difficult in the bedroom than any other room, in fact easier: there is a door that I can drop the hose out of to fertigate the garden.

GMYukonon24s 03-31-2012 02:47 PM

I don't see a problem with having a tank in your bedroom. There is alot of people that do.

nokturnalkid 03-31-2012 02:54 PM

Yeah no problems here with tanks in my room. Only noise that used to irritate me was when one of he tanks water level would drop and you could hear the hob splashing, easy fix though. About the light, I used to just have a photoperiod that ran later in the evening. I used to just have the lights on from 3pm-11pm so not a biig issue when i go into the room and turn the lights on. Usually im in bed around the time the lights go off watching tv or on my laptop with the room lights already off. No issues with spooking fish.

somewhatshocked 03-31-2012 03:02 PM

The thing that's helped me avoid photoshock is a simple moonlight.

I ripped apart solar path lights and modded them to function as moon lights. The solar cell is mounted beneath the light fixture and the LED is just below that. Operates on a single cheapo rechargeable battery that I have to replace once every year or two. Unit charges during the day and kicks on after lights out. Operates for an hour or two and then kicks off as juice runs out. It's really helped prevent all the excitement and fear from sudden flashes of light.

Really helps ease the more finicky fish into evening hours as I'm toiling around the bedroom and whatnot.