The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stainless Steel Mesh for Moss Wall (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170791)

thedudeabides 03-28-2012 08:52 PM

Stainless Steel Mesh for Moss Wall

Not sure if this should go here or DIY but I am going to build a moss wall and have been leaning towards SS mesh and magnets after doing a little research. Just curious about other experiences with doing it this way. Is SS the way to go? Where can you pick up the materials? Do they sell it a home depot, I looked online and the quantities you had to buy were a lot more than I need. How powerful do the magnets have to be? Any info would be much appreciated.

bushynoseburton 03-28-2012 09:44 PM

home depot or lowes or any place like that won't carry it.... I've looked and found nothing but galvanized... Look in the power sellers area there is someone in there selling per the size you need....

I used the plastic guttering material and bought suction cups with hooks, so far so good...

Warlock 03-28-2012 09:50 PM

grainger.com

SS 316

i picked up 2 square feet for under $10

bushynoseburton 03-28-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock (Post 1794629)
grainger.com

SS 316

i picked up 2 square feet for under $10

CRAP OLE LA!!! never thought of them.... I have one right up the road from me.... Thanks Warlock!!!!

What makes the difference on the number? I see that they have 316,304 and 200

proaudio55 03-28-2012 10:30 PM

This is a common thread! Here was one from just a week or two ago.

Steel Mesh, where you buy it?

Answers:
Amazon.com
or
McMaster.com

brooklynfishman 03-28-2012 11:44 PM

+1 on the Grainger. Very cheap compared to other places!!!!

thedudeabides 03-29-2012 12:59 PM

Thanks, will check out grainger for sure. What about magnets?

diwu13 03-29-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushynoseburton (Post 1794637)
CRAP OLE LA!!! never thought of them.... I have one right up the road from me.... Thanks Warlock!!!!

What makes the difference on the number? I see that they have 316,304 and 200

Different numbers mean they are made at different ratios of metals. Generally 314 (might be wrong on this one) and 316 (positive on this) are used for fish tanks as they are the most resistant to corrosion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedudeabides (Post 1795630)
Thanks, will check out grainger for sure. What about magnets?

SS mesh is magnetic so what you can do is just have some small magnets on the outside of your tank. The attraction should work through your tank glass/acrylic and keep the wall on. Most people either just shove the wall far enough down in their substrate or use suction cups.

proaudio55 03-29-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diwu13 (Post 1795684)
Different numbers mean they are made at different ratios of metals. Generally 314 (might be wrong on this one) and 316 (positive on this) are used for fish tanks as they are the most resistant to corrosion.

SS mesh is magnetic so what you can do is just have some small magnets on the outside of your tank. The attraction should work through your tank glass/acrylic and keep the wall on. Most people either just shove the wall far enough down in their substrate or use suction cups.

Grade 304 is economy grade stainless that's plenty safe for a tank. Grade 316 is 50% more expensive, better quality, and perfect for a tank. If you ACTUALLY have one of these of these grades, neither is magnetic (or only slightly). Some dirt-bags mislabel plated steel, or crap-grade stainless as 316, but if it's magnetic --> That is the instant tell-tale of fraud.

from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel
"There are different types of stainless steels: when nickel is added, for instance, the austenite structure of iron is stabilized. This crystal structure makes such steels virtually non-magnetic and less brittle at low temperatures."

thedudeabides 03-29-2012 09:11 PM

So the magnets wont work even if the are fairly powerful

Warlock 03-29-2012 09:22 PM

get one of them "VEGGIE" clips from petsmart/petco.. lol. to hold the SS Mesh for salt tanks

proaudio55 03-29-2012 09:28 PM

A magnet won't stick strong enough to hold it in place ..... You'll something like this product: "Zoo Med MS-1 Magclip Magnet Suction Cups" (Do a google search for it)

joncro55 04-23-2012 09:00 PM

Sources for 316 Wire Mesh

I know the industry pretty well, and obviously depending ont he quantity that you need and are looking for, I would buy from 1 of these 3 places.

www.grainger.com

http://www.bwire.com/

www.mcmaster.com

These are probably your 3 best bets when it comes to best price and high quality, no scammers.

I have also noticed that people here in this forum buy only a very small quantity at a time. Would it be worth it to pay less per sq ft and just buy more than u need and have it as your reserved? There is an unlimited amount of uses for this material, trust me, it is not that worst thing to have laying around the house. You will always find a way to use it.

HD Blazingwolf 04-23-2012 09:51 PM

LOL wasted post

look up SS grades to understand more about stainless steel and its properties