The Planted Tank Forum banner

*Zombie Moan* Bbbbrrraaaiiinnsss.....

12K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  Unkillable Cat 
#1 ·
Hush, Zombie! Let me talk!

I know everyone is so excited about the... Zombie Aquarium. I used the dead tree with an overgrown graveyard as my inspiration for this lovely adventure.

What got me wanting to make a zombie tank was someone posting about how cool it would be to take the new Electric Green Skirt Tetras and make a zombie tank. Well it got me thinking they do look like radioactive zombies. Thread on the tetras is here-->Glofish Electric Green Tetra!

So I posted a discussion thread Here looking for help and I found it.

A special thank you to:

gordonrichards for the post on the skirt tetras
NWA-Planted for the wonderful piece of driftwood.
And to anyone who posted on the discussion thread! :D

Well....HERE IT IS! Well so far...

No plants yet, I still need to get my lights. I will be doing a dry start. I also need some more slate pieces for the gravestones/tombstones. The wood has a giant hole I know. But I plan on wrapping Java Moss around it doing an overgrown cave entrance. :proud:

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It is just setting right now. I may change it up, not sure. Like I put. I am going to wrap java moss around it and make the hole barely visible, to create a little overgrown cave. I just didn't want to cut it and mess this beautiful piece of wood.

#6 ·
I wouldnt worry about the "stump" lol, I like the hole and if you do too who cares. Definitely needs more headstones though, would be a pretty lonely graveyard with 3 stiffs :) I love the idea here, very fun! What plants are you gonna use? Hopefully some dwarf hairgrass, would look awesome like an old overgrown graveyard. You could paint little pictures of white skirt tetras on the stones lol. maybe some green shrimp in there too?

#7 ·
Thank you. I personally like the "stump" and adding java moss to do a "cave" of sorts. I thought it would be interesting have little critters come out of the java moss, like long forgotten bodies in a cave. haha

I plan on it adding more headstones. I got the rocks at the local fish store and I lucked out on them. lol

I am going to do DHG. I have a dark green Wisteria for the background for the "Tree". Java moss on the stump. I also have a Lilaeopsis, not sure on the exact one, I was going to put in there. I also thought about getting some Downoi for this thank. But I love any suggestions.

Green shrimp might be interesting. Hmmmm...I may have to try them.

I still need another small back of sand to build around the "Tree".

#9 ·
I looked at two different ones. They don't have anything. I wish it was halloween. I bet I could find lots of things. lol

#13 ·
Thank you!

Before I became a member on this website I saw this idea on another thread. I didn't think you would actually do it! LOL! Anyway, have you considered this fish for the tank? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3955265
I have looked into the X-Ray Tetras. But I am going to go with the Blind Cave Tetra. They intrigue me. haha

Ooh its coming along, can't wait to see the finished product!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I can't wait either. :bounce:

#14 ·
I threw some dwarf hairgrass roots that kept growing shoots in a bowll filled with water and no light. It'll be interesting if DHG grows in this tank with out saran Warp and a light. xD

#17 ·
Yep!

funny, as i was reading down the thread, i was thinking "blind cave tetras"! and lo and behold! you already thought of it...lol i like the moss idea very much. i would probably crazy glue an anubias nana petite in the hole, but that is just me ;). i like the idea of painting fish stuff on the headstones. the bonefish grille logo would be awesome for that!!

oooooohh!!! find a zombie hand online and glue a finger coming out of the hole!!! or take a barbie doll arm and run it over with your car and glue that in the hole!! ok, enough now, before i end up taking all my daughter's dolls and make my own zombie tank!!LOL

really looking forward to this build, theme tanks really are neat as long as done tastefully. :)
Someone else actually suggested them on the suggestion thread. Not sure on the painting and the barbie arms. I am going to try add more natural things. I wonder if I can find rocks shaped like fingers or arms. Hmmm

#16 ·
funny, as i was reading down the thread, i was thinking "blind cave tetras"! and lo and behold! you already thought of it...lol i like the moss idea very much. i would probably crazy glue an anubias nana petite in the hole, but that is just me ;). i like the idea of painting fish stuff on the headstones. the bonefish grille logo would be awesome for that!!

oooooohh!!! find a zombie hand online and glue a finger coming out of the hole!!! or take a barbie doll arm and run it over with your car and glue that in the hole!! ok, enough now, before i end up taking all my daughter's dolls and make my own zombie tank!!LOL

really looking forward to this build, theme tanks really are neat as long as done tastefully. :)

#18 ·
#20 ·
I saw those. I would love the Gargoyle! But a bit high for me. haha
Blue Ribbon, the ones who make the skulls for fish tanks, has a mini series. i thought about getting some human ones. Posting a link to some of there skulls I was thinking about getting. :biggrin:

Blue Ribbon Mini Cracked Human Skull

Blue Ribbon Mini Human Skull

I love watching blind cave tetra's at petco!! Its cute how they get around. Good choice.
Thanks. I read that have a wonderful sense of smell....like a zombie to brains. :wink:

#24 ·
#25 ·
Bumping this up.....Ugh! I keep forgetting Saran Wrap for this tank. lol

#31 ·
Looked into those and the village headstones..They are to small for this project. I am still on the hunt for more gravestones/headstones. I may look into getting more slate rock. I have been meaning to go to the lakes and rivers near me. Just haven't gotten around to it. haha

Funny idea, this should be fun to watch. I would carve teeth into that stump hole so it looks like a scary mouth. :icon_evil
Thank you both for the suggestions!

#33 ·
Awww! D: I wish you were closer, too....

Augh! I keep forgetting to add the saran wrap...I did add more black sand to create a hill effect on the tree though.

#34 ·
This is still going a bit slow. Been very busy with other things.

#35 ·
Hey, if you're still looking for gravestones, I might be able to make you some. I might not be able to get to them until next month as I have a lot of orders to fill, but it sounds like a fun project (right up my alley, LOL), and I can make them any size and just about any color, with anything written on them.

They would be made out of high fired stoneware and lead free, food safe glazes. You can go back through my blog to see what sort of work I do: www.risingsunearthworks.com

#42 ·
Oh man! That sucks. We have a small stream here that runs so clear, you could almost drink out of it. Everyone here keeps it clean, because families have picnic near it. And it is a rocky/sandy bank.

#43 ·
Wow, I am really glad i found this forum/thread!
I have been planning my own graveyard/zombie 28gal tank for about a week now.

Hopefully we can help each other :)

I will be using a 28gal bowfront tank that I have just pulled out of storage and cleaned up. I have some dark-blue/light green (petco brand i think) gravel that I tested with a black light. The green glows radioactive neon green when close to the light. With the distance it will be sitting at from under the hood, it will be a perfect bio-hazard green.

I may also be mixing in one or two bags of solid dark blue to mitigate the green affect in specific areas.

I want the general scene to be that of an old cemetery. Then, off to the side...

THIS

I have always loved the sand fountains, and i figure if i can find neon green fine sand (shouldnt be too hard) it will produce a really cool toxic ooze effect coming out of the barrels.

Add some green glo-fish and several of the other recommendations already mentioned in this thread and it should be awesome.

For gravestones, search for miniature gaming terrain.
I already have some gravestones from Miniatures Gaming (mordheim) that I will probably be sealing and using.

#46 ·
I saw this and couldn't think of this picture. Not try to offend the blondes here, but actually show them that one day, they might rule the world. :hihi:

Blondes will rule the world after zombie Apocalypse.

Seriously though, can't wait for this tank to turn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.