The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Invertebrates by Msjinkzd (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Did a brief write up on Caridina cf. babaulti with pics (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168326)

msjinkzd 03-08-2012 03:17 PM

Did a brief write up on Caridina cf. babaulti with pics

If anyone is interested, it can be found here: http://msjinkzd.com/news/caridina-cf...oup-of-shrimp/

moonwasaloon 03-08-2012 03:22 PM

Great, I ordered the more fragile ones =/

What makes Indian Zebra shrimp hard to photograph?

Thanks for the write up!

msjinkzd 03-08-2012 03:37 PM

they are smaller and tend to hide in the plants, plus the tank I have them in is in a difficult spot to photograph :)

moonwasaloon 03-08-2012 03:57 PM

Ah, okay.

Makes Sense! I shouldn't have many issues since I mainly have moss in my tank currently.

rollinghills 03-08-2012 09:45 PM

Wow the green one is striking. Too bad I don't have space for them right now.

edit: just saw there are 2 pics of the green shrimp. Which one is more representative of its color? The one in the moss or the substrate?

msjinkzd 03-08-2012 10:06 PM

the moss is more typical- lime green

TWINSCREWED 03-10-2012 02:39 PM

Hi Rachel. Just curious, you said the zebras are smaller do the stay smaller or your just happen to be? What color are yours or do they span the range of colors, seems as though the pics I seen range from red, brown and black. Funny thing is every where I've looked seems to report these at different full sizes, but they should be about the same size as tigers and RCS, right? Can you think of anything that get closer to 1.5-2" looking to add some diversity to my Barb tank. The super-sized Amanos i got from you are doing great along with 2 bamboo shrimp. Tried a couple adult tigers and RCS but they quickly became conditioning food. :( oops. Thanks for your help.

msjinkzd 03-11-2012 02:14 PM

The males are quite tiny, the females seem to get to about 1". They have a range of colors, with a clear blue background with black stripes, to a clear background with black stripes, to a tan background with red/brown stripes.

As for what gets to nearly 2", if you are not concerned about breeding, I would consider Green Lace shrimp (Atyoida pilipes). They are a fan filter shrimp with functional fans (they are small fans, so they can use them for feeding so are much less fragile then a bamboo shrimp).

thechibi 03-11-2012 10:20 PM

Oooh, the green ones look so awesome. :D

audioaficionado 03-11-2012 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechibi (Post 1768591)
Oooh, the green ones look so awesome. :D

+1
Caridina cf. babaulti “Green” $3
How would they get along with PFRs and Amanos?

Attachment 43852

msjinkzd 03-12-2012 12:20 AM

They are perfect parameter and behavior wise to go with those :)

Lifeblood 03-12-2012 12:53 AM

I had a berried female hatch a few days ago and the babies are tiny, I tried to photograph them but it doesn't work. I would say .5mm to .75 mm at best.

The berried female looked like the striped red brown one you have in one of your photos. The dad could of been a green one, a green/clear one or one with similar coloration.

There are really interesting shrimp and I am eager to find out what the babies look like. Even though there are tiny, they oddly enough seem like that could be striped.

thechibi 03-12-2012 12:56 AM

Fantastic! :D Once I get some more shrimp funds, definitely need some greenies. Green is good.

somewhatshocked 03-12-2012 01:48 AM

audio: I have them in PFR + Amano tanks and love them. Mine range from almost yellow to dark green and they pop off babies and frequently as cherries.

You can't go wrong with Rachel's shrimp.

rollinghills 03-12-2012 03:09 AM

You got some green lace shrimp in?:eek: How much are they? Can they get larger than an Amano?