The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/)
-   -   ~3 Gal Cylinder (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/167312-%7E3-gal-cylinder.html)

CrazyCatPeekin 02-29-2012 10:36 PM

~3 Gal Cylinder

3 Attachment(s)
I bought this cylinder months ago at Home Goods and finally got around to doing something with it. I set it up quickly yesterday with scraps and clippings from my other tanks.

I used Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil capped with Eco-Complete since I have a ton of both. There's asian ambulia in there )which grows like mad in all my tanks), a couple of rotala stems, something I can't remember the name of, A little petite anubias, some blyxa that was wasting away in one of my other tanks (not enough light, I think), some pretty pathetic looking bacopa monnieri and the tiniest little bit of brazilian micro sword. I think the moss on the little hut is Taiwan. Oh...and, of course, duckweed.

I've got a Marina i25 filter which is creating quite a stir in that cylinder shape. I may need to baffle it or something.

Heater is a Hagen 7.5 watt flat one under the substrate.

Light is from my Fluval Spec supplemented by a CFL in that lamp and some ambient daylight from the north facing window.

If it works out, this will most likely become a home for one of my bettas.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I need a new camera. Then I need to learn how to use it! :hihi:

frrok 02-29-2012 10:39 PM

that looks really cool!

josolanes 02-29-2012 10:41 PM

Very creative tank idea!

I really like how you've laid everything out in it - and the tanks are doing very well!

GMYukonon24s 03-01-2012 12:11 AM

The a nice cylinder. I also like the little light you have for it.

algarciajr 03-01-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josolanes (Post 1750665)
Very creative tank idea!

I agree

kcartwright856 03-01-2012 02:36 AM

Cute! The magnification effect from the shape is interesting.

CrazyCatPeekin 03-01-2012 11:24 PM

Thanks everyone!

I really dig the magnification-factor of the cylinder also. It makes for a neat look. I hope whatever I end up stocking with is going to look pretty cool.

jreich 03-01-2012 11:46 PM

be carefull, that glass is not very strong. i once had the same idea as you, the glass thing was a center piece at a wedding so i took it home. i accidently broke it, but it took very minimul force to do so.

Chrisinator 03-01-2012 11:58 PM

Those small buildin things are my favorite! I gotta look for some of those!

Kworker 03-02-2012 12:08 AM

I have same cylinder. It's not 3 gals. Its just a Little more than 2. Im going diff route with minea and going filtterless and no heater.. Looks nice. Good luck

CrazyCatPeekin 03-02-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreich (Post 1752775)
be carefull, that glass is not very strong. i once had the same idea as you, the glass thing was a center piece at a wedding so i took it home. i accidently broke it, but it took very minimul force to do so.

I'll keep an eye on it. It has been sitting with plant scraps and water in it for about 4 months though. So I think that was a pretty good test. It is a bit more vulnerable in its current location though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisinator (Post 1752804)
Those small buildin things are my favorite! I gotta look for some of those!

Yep...I've seen so many of them on this site and thought they were so cute, I had to pick one up. I got it at Petsmart. Some of the edges were a little on the sharp side, so I sanded them down until they were smooth.

jreich 03-02-2012 03:39 AM

it should b fine as long as nothing bumps into it, but i really like what u did with it. wish mine didnt break :(

Kworker 03-02-2012 04:05 AM

This shouldn't break. Seems very good as far as strength. Reason I bought mine.

wicca27 03-02-2012 04:13 AM

i so want some of those i cant find them any where

vvDO 03-02-2012 04:30 AM

the petite looks good where it is, kind of like landscape bush in front of the deco.