The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Colorado (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Moving to Denver!! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166347)

oblongshrimp 02-22-2012 03:31 PM

Moving to Denver!!

My wife and I are moving to Denver late April or early May!! We are probably going to be living just north of the Tech Center area. I was wondering if anyone knew what the water was like in that area? I have several planted tanks and both hard and soft water shrimp tanks and trying to figure out what I may need to do with them so I would love if anyone has any information regarding the water quality and anything special i need to consider.

madness 02-22-2012 06:40 PM

It will be good to have you!

Unfortunately the water quality isn't soft like some of the pac northwest areas.

Here in Aurora the water I seem to do fine using tap for neos and regular planted tanks but for softwater stuff RO is required. I think the last time I tested my tap with strips it was 7.2-7.4 pH. With AS and RO I was down around 6.4 pH before I maxed out the pH test I was using. I didn't need any lower pH than that so I never got around to using my pH meter on an RO + Aquasoil tank.

Some of the areas in the suburbs have expanded so rapidly during the last 20 years that the water sourcing is mixed up and confusing so you will probably have to actually test it for yourself as a city like Aurora has multiple water sources. Growing up out north of the airport our water quality was so horrible that they eventually did a city wide RO station but apparently that has been maxed out so now you can get either RO plant water or random water which obviously makes things unpredictable.

I would say that the water is likely to be not great but useable for set-ups that don't require softwater.

The one benefit that you will probably see is that the heat won't be as big of an issue for you.

You should already be used to the dryness and the evap. problems.

DenverTankCollector 02-22-2012 06:51 PM

Most of the area you may move into will be served by the Denver Water Comission. They have an online report of their water parameters on a daily basis. They target a 7.5 PH. See www.denverwater.org for a detailed report. The fish will love it, the water you get in Phoenix was new water when we first used it. Lots more trace elements seep in by the time it gets to your tap. You will do fine.

oblongshrimp 02-22-2012 09:02 PM

great thanks for the information, I will try and grab a sample from the rental we are looking at this weekend.

ZLogic 02-22-2012 09:07 PM

I live near the tech center. My tap comes out @ 7.4pH; 4kH. It's really not that bad. When I switched from diy to pressurized co2 I tested and got 7.2ph and my 5g has Aquasoil coming in at 6.5pH. Only thing that sucks is the majority of our members and the majority of the most highly recommended lfs' are up north. I frequent Neptune's Tropicals because it's closeby and the only thing I could complain about is their selection of plants and livestock.

HypnoticAquatic 02-22-2012 10:12 PM

most of our water is very good my tds comes out 180-220 normally but its a must to check with your specific area. and you will glad u can drink out of the tap here but you will miss aape as we dont have anything like that yet and most of our lfs are in denver boulder or aurora

oblongshrimp 02-22-2012 10:12 PM

Any of them get SAE's in? My last one died a month or so ago and I was thinking of getting another school of them but trying to decide if i should get them here in AZ and move them or just wait.

ZLogic 02-23-2012 12:19 AM

I was at Neptune's today and they had SAE's ranging from 1.5" - 4"

Noahma 02-23-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZLogic (Post 1737929)
I live near the tech center. My tap comes out @ 7.4pH; 4kH. It's really not that bad. When I switched from diy to pressurized co2 I tested and got 7.2ph and my 5g has Aquasoil coming in at 6.5pH. Only thing that sucks is the majority of our members and the majority of the most highly recommended lfs' are up north. I frequent Neptune's Tropicals because it's closeby and the only thing I could complain about is their selection of plants and livestock.

My water params just north of denver is about the same. My dad, which is 15 min. west and technically has water from the same source comes out at 8.2ph with a hardness of 8dkh. Things fare everywhere lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblongshrimp (Post 1738023)
Any of them get SAE's in? My last one died a month or so ago and I was thinking of getting another school of them but trying to decide if i should get them here in AZ and move them or just wait.

Aqua Imports in Boulder can do orders for you on just about any fish, I would bring the scientific name with you, I know there is another fish that gets confused with the actual SAE.

Welcome to Colorado :)

willbldrco 02-24-2012 05:22 AM

I see SAEs often in the Denver metro area. They are not a rare find here.
FYI,

Will

Eden Marel 02-24-2012 05:31 AM

Why Denver, come up north! Denver too busy haha, the one way streets drive me crazy. and there seems to be non-stop road construction. I swear there is this one construction that started early last year and it still hasn't done and looks like nothing changed at all!

But I guess since you're from Phoenix, the busy-ness isn't gonna be a problem at all. We have snow and sometimes a lot of it, I heard Arizona except in the far north parts never get snow.

Colorado weather is unique I say :D We already had 2 wildfires, too early I say! And it even snowed several days before. Colorado is nice place, but dang it's windy for past few days again!! Annoying.

I live up in Longmont, water after 24 hours is 7.4, kh 2 gh 0

SomebodySayJuan 02-24-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eden Marel (Post 1740466)
Colorado weather is unique I say :D We already had 2 wildfires, too early I say! And it even snowed several days before. Colorado is nice place, but dang it's windy for past few days again!! Annoying.

I live up in Longmont, water after 24 hours is 7.4, kh 2 gh 0

I was lucky enough to be stuck on the Diagonal right at the beginning of that fire yesterday, took almost 2 hours to get to Longmont from Boulder. This morning I was surprised to see that fire had actually made it from one side, across the median, and continued burning onto the other side.

Eden Marel 02-24-2012 04:44 PM

Yea I also heard it took hours to get around it since they rerouted everyone to go around Boulder Res. And there was a semitruck blown over too I heard! Good thing all I have to do that day was go from South Longmont to North.

And then another fire started up near Lyons!

SomebodySayJuan 02-24-2012 05:14 PM

I saw the truck you are talking about. It was right there at Jay Rd, and it was still there blocking traffic yesterday morning.

moosenart 02-25-2012 12:02 AM

Welcome! I live N of castle Rock on a well. My water is sooooo very hard. To get suitable water my tigers I did 9gallons RO and 1 gallon with my tap. With added minerals.