The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Equipment (
-   -   Running co2 to two aquariums. (

Zefrik 02-20-2012 12:29 AM

Running co2 to two aquariums.
How can I run co2 to two aquariums. I will put a Microsoft paint sketch of where the tanks are situated. I was thinking about using a "T" splitter. But I don't know how I could monitor and adjust the amount of co2 between the tanks. I have a cheap plastic 4 way gang valve that I got at petco for air pumps but I feel it might not be strong enough to be used with pressurized co2. Is there like a cheap or diy manifold of some sort that could be used.

samamorgan 02-20-2012 12:33 AM

Two needle valves from your regulator. Need a manifold. Check bettatail's thread.

Zefrik 02-20-2012 12:34 AM

How do you get two needle valves connected to the regulator?

samamorgan 02-20-2012 12:39 AM

As i said, look at bettatail's thread. There is a plethora of information on this forum if you just open your eyes and take a gander.

Capsaicin_MFK 02-20-2012 04:38 AM

BAM! Two tanks, one co2 source.

Aquaticfan 02-20-2012 07:03 AM

Exactly as others have mentioned. Ive got my 20 Gallon and my 46 gallon tanks on the same Co2 set up.

Single solenoid that connects to a manifold and 2 output needle valves. If you had more then just the 2 you wanted to do you could even do more. Just have to add to the manifold and more needle valves.

nokturnalkid 02-20-2012 07:45 PM

If u want ultimate flexibility, add another solenoid too. That way each tank is comletely independent of each other. You dont have to worry if one tank has a longer photoperiod than the other

talontsiawd 02-20-2012 09:20 PM

You can find a bunch of manifolds to fit your needs. The easiest way is two needle valves if you photo periods are similar (you can have some CO2 running before the lights go on in one tank, for example, or a bit after). Or you can have a full post regulator for each tank (solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve).

Most people use 1/8 NPT fittings so you don't really even need a manifold. You can just buy a splitter at a hardware store. You really can buy all your fittings at a hardware store and just add your needle valves, solenoids, etc).

You could theoretically just use a splitter if the tanks were the same size and had the same diffusor/reactors. These are cheap and easy to find. There is a chance you could run into problems as the CO2 will take the path of least resistance. I doubt two diffusors would have enough variance to make a big difference, even less with a reactor. But there is always that chance. Add a different amount of plant mass and their could be issues, especially if you are on the cusp of gassing your fish. One mistake and you are in trouble. I would just spend the money on an extra needle valve and manifold/splitter, even on identical tanks.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.