The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Substrate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Black Diamond in SO-CAL (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164556)

green_valley 02-08-2012 06:47 PM

Black Diamond in SO-CAL
 
Anyone knows where to find this recent popular substrate in Southern California? Yeah, I am talking about Black Diamond blasting sand. I tried several places but no luck.

Thanks

green_valley 02-11-2012 08:04 PM

Hmmmmmm.....I thought that we have everything here in Los Angeles area, I guess we don't have Black Diamond ........hahahah.

proaudio55 02-11-2012 08:32 PM

Have you tried these guys?
http://www.toolandabrasive.com/contact.html

Use google and type in your city in the 'location' then do a search for "abrasive supply" or "abrasive blasting" or "media blasting" or "industrial supply" . . . Coal slag media is one of the most common blasting grits around.

Oh, and when you talk to them, don't say "sand blasting" or they'll know you're a noob/ idiot. No one other than hillbilly hicks use sand, the silica will cause all sorts of lung problems.

I wouldn't get hung up on the 'brand name.' As long as it's coal slag and grit 20-40 mesh, you're looking at the identical product to black diamond. (And now folks will argue with me "no it's totally different" uh huh, Just like BP gasoline is totally different than Texaco or Shell or Super America or 7-11's gas.)

Hoppy 02-11-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proaudio55 (Post 1720373)
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.toolandabrasive.com/contact.html


I wouldn't get hung up on the 'brand name.' As long as it's coal slag and grit 20-40 mesh, you're looking at the identical product to black diamond. (And now folks will argue with me "no it's totally different" uh huh, Just like BP gasoline is totally different than Texaco or Shell or Super America or 7-11's gas.)

Some is made from Pennsylvania coal - known to be much better.:icon_mrgr Or is that oil???

g33tar 02-12-2012 05:25 AM

I know theres another product called 'BlackBeauty' which is the same thing..Maybe thats available locally. Ive never used the BlackBeauty though.

Hoppy 02-15-2012 01:54 AM

I just set up a tank with Black Diamond blasting grit, 20-40 size. I was amazed at how much better it is than the coal slag grit I used several years ago. This stuff isn't at all sharp, is much smaller particles than I had before, and is easy to use. I didn't even wash it. I'm completely sold on it now. It can't harm cories because it isn't sharp edged particles anyway. Now I wonder what brand the stuff I had before was.

green_valley 02-18-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proaudio55 (Post 1720373)
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.toolandabrasive.com/contact.html

Use google and type in your city in the 'location' then do a search for "abrasive supply" or "abrasive blasting" or "media blasting" or "industrial supply" . . . Coal slag media is one of the most common blasting grits around.

Oh, and when you talk to them, don't say "sand blasting" or they'll know you're a noob/ idiot. No one other than hillbilly hicks use sand, the silica will cause all sorts of lung problems.

I wouldn't get hung up on the 'brand name.' As long as it's coal slag and grit 20-40 mesh, you're looking at the identical product to black diamond. (And now folks will argue with me "no it's totally different" uh huh, Just like BP gasoline is totally different than Texaco or Shell or Super America or 7-11's gas.)

Yeah, I have tried several of these places. But not this particular one, may be I should give them a call. Thanks.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 1725706)
I just set up a tank with Black Diamond blasting grit, 20-40 size. I was amazed at how much better it is than the coal slag grit I used several years ago. This stuff isn't at all sharp, is much smaller particles than I had before, and is easy to use. I didn't even wash it. I'm completely sold on it now. It can't harm cories because it isn't sharp edged particles anyway. Now I wonder what brand the stuff I had before was.

Thanks Hoppy, that's very helpful:D:D:D Thanks for rubbing it in. LOL
Now, tell me where to find it here :icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr

O2surplus 02-18-2012 09:26 PM

I work out on the oil pipelines in So. Cal and the product our media blasting contractors use is called "black beauty". They normally show up to the job with pallets filled with 50lb sacks. I'll have to ask them were they get it and report back.

green_valley 02-18-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O2surplus (Post 1732034)
I work out on the oil pipelines in So. Cal and the product our media blasting contractors use is called "black beauty". They normally show up to the job with pallets filled with 50lb sacks. I'll have to ask them were they get it and report back.

WOW, thank you so much. I would sincerely appreciate that. Or may be you should just get few bags and I buy them from you. HAHAHAHHA :icon_mrgr

O2surplus 02-18-2012 10:44 PM

HaHa- yeah, "grabbing a few sacks" would be just that easy. Shipping them to you would be the pricey part. I do a lot of work with California Sand Blasting. Their office is just down the street from me in Long Beach. I'll stop in and ask them about their supplier. Where in Cali are you? They may know of a supplier in your area.

green_valley 02-19-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O2surplus (Post 1732151)
HaHa- yeah, "grabbing a few sacks" would be just that easy. Shipping them to you would be the pricey part. I do a lot of work with California Sand Blasting. Their office is just down the street from me in Long Beach. I'll stop in and ask them about their supplier. Where in Cali are you? They may know of a supplier in your area.

Awesome, thank you so much for your effort. I really appreciate it. I'm located around Northridge or Granada Hills. Basically 405 and 118 Freeway area. Thank you again. :bounce: so excited.

Btw, I was doing research on Black Beauty, are they pretty much black? the one that I saw, they were somewhat greyish.

O2surplus 02-24-2012 09:48 PM

Found the Black Beauty. McMaster Carr sells it in 50lbs sacks for $17. Their located in Santa Fe springs. Here's a link for driving directions- Hope it helps:icon_smil http://www.mcmaster.com/#contact/=ge5jjh

m00se 02-24-2012 10:17 PM

Black Beauty is not Black Diamond. There are folks here who have not reported good things about BB. In fact, I'm wondering if that's what Hoppy used back when he had his go-around with the "bad stuff". Just a heads-up. Here are the contact numbers for http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com/

499 Settlers Ridge Parkway, Woodbury, MN 55129

Phone: 651-436-6071 | Toll Free:1-800-343-0117 | Fax: 651-436-6744

Why not call them and ask where you can find it close by you?

O2surplus 02-25-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m00se (Post 1741600)
Black Beauty is not Black Diamond. There are folks here who have not reported good things about BB. In fact, I'm wondering if that's what Hoppy used back when he had his go-around with the "bad stuff". Just a heads-up. Here are the contact numbers for http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com/

499 Settlers Ridge Parkway, Woodbury, MN 55129

Phone: 651-436-6071 | Toll Free:1-800-343-0117 | Fax: 651-436-6744

Why not call them and ask where you can find it close by you?

According to the Mcmaster Carr website Black Beauty and Black Diamond are the same thing. Both products are derived from coal slag. I've never used either, I stepped up to the plate and purchased 300lbs of Caribsea's Black Ttahitian Moon sand before I learned that BB or BD were available.

Abrasive Blasting Media

The harder the abrasive, the deeper it penetrates and the faster it works. Use softer abrasives for delicate applications. Mesh size is the number of holes in a 1"-square screen. As the mesh number gets larger, the number of holes per inch increases, the size of each individual hole decreases, and the media becomes finer.

Black Beauty Grit—Also known as black diamond and black blast, it's the best alternative to silica sand. Contains less than 0.1% free silica. It's inert and moisture free. Typical blast pressure is 100 psi.

m00se 02-25-2012 02:16 AM

...except they aren't the same brand. I'm not arguing anything, just saying that BD and BB are two different manufacturers. That's all. You may infer whatever you need to, armed with this information.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.