The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Metal halide or T5 H.O? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161786)

apeddle 01-19-2012 02:31 AM

Metal halide or T5 H.O?
 
I lucked into finding a local store that offers both t5's and metal halides.
I can get a 150 watt metal halide for around 130 bucks and he offers various sizes in the t5's but the only one suitable for my tank(36g bow) is the 24" duel bulb. Which is around 40 bucks and i'm pretty sure that is with the bulbs included?
What do you fellow aquarium enthusiasts think is my best option?

evan.m 01-19-2012 02:45 AM

Prices seem really low, I would be leery of an inferior product. Are you planning on a high tech, high light tank w/ co2 injection; or a low light tank that is easier to take care of. e In my opinion each light will give you one or the other

apeddle 01-19-2012 02:50 AM

They are pretty quality products, it is a greenhouse store more or less. But my LFS advised me to buy them from him, said thats what he uses on all his tanks and they work great.
I was considering doing Co2 injections, but idk how soon I would be buying a pressurized co2 kit. I don't think a DIY co2 system would work two well on a 36g

evan.m 01-19-2012 02:54 AM

I wouldn't use MH without co2, It will be an algae farm. But it seems metal halide is the way to go. I didn't have any patience when I first started my tank and I am still paying the price for not having co2 from the start.

apeddle 01-19-2012 03:17 AM

I'm debating, i'm going to be starting up some 10g plant grow tanks and hopefully sell them off. I was planning on running a MH for them, 1 MH for as many as I can squeeze on a stand probably 4 or 5 starting off and doing a diy co2 for them :P.
I also have a 55g cichlid tank that is due for a lighting upgrade so most likely ill add the t5 ho to that one!

amcoffeegirl 01-19-2012 09:12 PM

I just got my first t5ho and it looks really nice and bright. i got the 24 inch over a 15 gallon tank. i have a glass top on the tank though and may just rune one bulb. i also only paid $42. i think it will work fine for me.

apeddle 01-20-2012 03:43 AM

I rigged up my own t5 ho sorta looks great though!

TedP 01-20-2012 04:50 PM

Looks, like you already decided on T5. Good choice. MH would be too much. I run a 150 watt MH over my 30 tall with injected CO2 and it's way too much light.

apeddle 01-22-2012 12:24 AM

Yeah I did, seems like its going to work pretty well! I'd really like to get a metal halide on something but there just so friggin powerful.

samamorgan 01-22-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apeddle (Post 1686488)
Yeah I did, seems like its going to work pretty well! I'd really like to get a metal halide on something but there just so friggin powerful.

And very costly to run.

apeddle 01-22-2012 12:48 AM

There expensive to run eh? Because the drain so much power?

samamorgan 01-22-2012 01:49 AM

Energy used converted to light:

Incandescent/Halogen: 10% light
Metal Halide: 25% light
Flourescent: 70% light

There are more factors, but this is the basic concept.

TedP 01-22-2012 08:30 AM

Heat!

When the main lamp kicks on for my 30g it heats the room up uncomfortably. It doesn't really affect the water temp that badly but it's my office and I spend a lot of time there. For that, it's too much as well.

samamorgan 01-22-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedP (Post 1686984)
Heat!

When the main lamp kicks on for my 30g it heats the room up uncomfortably. It doesn't really affect the water temp that badly but it's my office and I spend a lot of time there. For that, it's too much as well.

Yeah, most of the energy that is not converted into light is converted into heat instead, so for that metal halide, 75% of the energy used is converted into radiation. This leads to more expensive cooling bills as well. Yet another thing to factor :)

Imagine a 150w incandescent :o

James77 03-10-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samamorgan (Post 1686614)
Energy used converted to light:

Incandescent/Halogen: 10% light
Metal Halide: 25% light
Flourescent: 70% light

There are more factors, but this is the basic concept.


This is incorrect.

http://www.reeflogix.com/images/rc/whitelight.jpg


Quote:

Originally Posted by samamorgan (Post 1686993)
Yeah, most of the energy that is not converted into light is converted into heat instead, so for that metal halide, 75% of the energy used is converted into radiation. This leads to more expensive cooling bills as well. Yet another thing to factor :)

Imagine a 150w incandescent :o


All of the energy, whether or not it is converted to light, will end up as heat. Flourescents and halides watt for watt will put out the same heat.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.