The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   HELP!!! My Java Fern is dying off!!! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161262)

wetworks 01-14-2012 09:25 PM

HELP!!! My Java Fern is dying off!!!

OK, here is the problem. My Java Fern is turning brown and dying off. All of them. I have Trident, Tropica, Windelov, Needle Leaf, Wavy, and Standard in this tank and all of them have turned brown and died within the past two weeks. Here are my water parameters:

pH: 6.9 on average, 6.7 with CO2
GH: 25
KH: 6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Temp: 75.6 F

I dose the appropriate amounts of: Flourish Comp, Iron, Potassium and Phosphorous but no other ferts at all. I do not use Excel.

There is nothing in the tank that would eat them, they just start to turn brown and disintegrate. At first I just trimmed off the dead leaves, but now it looks like ALL of it is dying. Some of the Windelov and Trident has been growing for years (the Trident is 18+ inches tall!!!) so it makes me really sad. Can anyone please tell me what may be wrong and how I can salvage these??? Thanks!

kalawai2000 01-14-2012 09:50 PM

That's a real bummer...when I was having problems with my Java Ferns it was due to high heat but at 75.6F that shouldn't hurt it at all. I have had it too turn brown and just disintegrate on me a while ago for no reason it seemed. I never could figure this out either...maybe someone else can answer this for all of us.

trixella 01-14-2012 10:01 PM

Have they been in the same tank the entire time you've had them and have the parameters been altered at all recently? If I remember correctly, you were having ph problems and had to do some things to bring your kh up... if so then they are probably going through an adaption to the new conditions. As long as the rhizome looks like it's not dying then you will probably get them to grow back healthy leaves that are adapted to the new conditions.

wetworks 01-14-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixella (Post 1676057)
Have they been in the same tank the entire time you've had them and have the parameters been altered at all recently? If I remember correctly, you were having ph problems and had to do some things to bring your kh up... if so then they are probably going through an adaption to the new conditions. As long as the rhizome looks like it's not dying then you will probably get them to grow back healthy leaves that are adapted to the new conditions.

This was actually my first thought (the pH problem), but this is happening in a totally different tank. Great memory though! Some of the ferns were added in June of 2011; the rest had been in the tank for a bit less than three years. I am very confused at this time. Good catch on the KH potentail though!

wetworks 01-14-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalawai2000 (Post 1676044)
That's a real bummer...when I was having problems with my Java Ferns it was due to high heat but at 75.6F that shouldn't hurt it at all. I have had it too turn brown and just disintegrate on me a while ago for no reason it seemed. I never could figure this out either...maybe someone else can answer this for all of us.

I did not think it was the heat, either. The range goes from 73.4 F to 76.1 F with no trouble at all. (The temp goes down when the lights are off...) Thanks for the info though, and hopefully someone can answer this for both of us.

KH2PO4 01-14-2012 10:15 PM

The browning color has distinctive gray tint in it.
Like this: http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/IMG_5671.jpg
The image is from this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...java-fern.html

And the symptom progresses at very fast rate. You can see the brownish
area double or even quadruple in size just overnight. Right?

I had it too. Did intensive googling. Java Fern disease, Java Fern melt,
Java Fern Browning, etc. Still no conclusion what causes it. But I'm sure
it's not from CO2 as someone had said. Because now I'm at much
lower level of CO2 than before, and without any improvement in water flow.
And my ferns are still fine.

Sorry, I don't know how to cure or prevent it. But most of the time,
there will be some rhizomes survive and they will regrow. Just trim off
the dead leaves/rhizomes.

kalawai2000 01-14-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KH2PO4 (Post 1676074)
The browning color has distinctive gray tint in it.
Like this: http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/IMG_5671.jpg

And the symptom progresses at very fast rate. You can see the brownish
area double or even quadruple in size just overnight. Right?

I had it too. Did intensive googling. Java Fern disease, Java Fern melt,
Java Fern Browning, etc. Still no conclusion what causes it. But I'm sure
it's not from CO2 as someone had said. Because now I'm at much
lower level of CO2 than before, and without any improvement in water flow.
And my ferns are still fine.

Sorry, I don't know how to cure or prevent it. But most of the time,
there will be some rhizomes survive and they will regrow. Just trim off
the dead leaves/rhizomes.

This is what I did to my Java stubs and they grew back...slowly.

trixella 01-14-2012 10:36 PM

Has your gh always been that high in that tank? I know Javas can handle harder water but your gh still seems a bit high for them. Here it says that it can handle up to 20 degrees and yours is above that.

wetworks 01-14-2012 11:20 PM

OK, it is not like either of the photos posted. The whole leaf just turns brown, skeletonizes, and then disintegrate. Pretty quickly, too. Funny thing is, the adventitious plantlets are not dying at all.

wetworks 01-14-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixella (Post 1676092)
Has your gh always been that high in that tank? I know Javas can handle harder water but your gh still seems a bit high for them. Here it says that it can handle up to 20 degrees and yours is above that.

I had no idea about the GH issue. Thanks!

wetworks 01-18-2012 03:45 AM

Should I pull off all of the dead/dying leaves? Is there any hope they will regenerate? What caused this to happen? How can I prevent it? Should I just get rid of the bad ones and just start over? Help! I am really confused about what to do...

trixella 01-18-2012 04:10 AM

Yes, just cut off the dead leaves as they die. I wouldn't throw away the whole plant, if the rhizome is alive then it can re grow new leaves. I would just try to bring your gh down into the preferred range.

wetworks 01-26-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixella (Post 1680869)
Yes, just cut off the dead leaves as they die. I wouldn't throw away the whole plant, if the rhizome is alive then it can re grow new leaves. I would just try to bring your gh down into the preferred range.

What is a good (read: EASY) method to bring my GH down?

klaus07 01-26-2012 03:32 PM

It sounds to me that the adventitious plants may be robbing the mother plant of essential nutrients and by providing the growing basis for the adventitious plants the host leaf can no longer sustain itself. This my just be an example of asexual reproduction.

wetworks 01-26-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaus07 (Post 1693882)
It sounds to me that the adventitious plants may be robbing the mother plant of essential nutrients and by providing the growing basis for the adventitious plants the host leaf can no longer sustain itself. This my just be an example of asexual reproduction.

Excellent idea! This makes a lot of sense, as the adventitious plantlets are all doing well. It just seemed peculiar to me to have it happen to all of my java ferns (of multiple varieties) at the exact same time.