The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My first build with actual planning! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161067)

Zefrik 01-12-2012 10:26 PM

My first build with actual planning!

I am tearing down my current 40b planted tank because of algae issues and equipment issues. I am tired of Diy co2 and I am done with my HOB filter. I also have clamp on utility lights with CFLs and it just looks annoying after a while. I don't even like the look of the 40b as much either, it is too squaty.

The New Tank:

I am going to use my old 29 gallon that I have had in storage for a while now. I de-rimmed it about a year ago because the rim was warped. I had it setup for about 8 months and it held water fine so I feel pretty comfortable with it. I also have my old dual t5 fixture from my saltwater tank.(I bought LEDs for the saltwater tank). Now I have a de-rimmed 29 gallon with one nice light on it. I finally was able to buy black diamond sand so I rinsed about 35-40 pounds of it and it is ready to be added. I also have some 100% organic top soil to use underneath. I also have a Fluval 205 filter I got on Black Friday for $50 bucks. Now all I need is a Heater and a co2 system.

co2 system:

I have been waiting for a while now to get a co2 system and within 2 months I will try to have one. I am still looking at what I can get so I don't get anything I will regret later. I am wanting to have the ability to run from a full size tank and a paintball tank too. Not at the same time of coarse but interchangeably. I don't want to get used nor do I want to have it made for me. I want to buy every thing new. I want it to be simple also so I want to get all the parts from the same company and know they work together properly. I am really looking at these. Tell me which one will be better.

- http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLi...FICORE-vi.html
- http://www.marinedepot.com/CO2_Regul...FICORE-vi.html

I will get a paintball adapter to also.

I will try to get pictures up later. :D

Zefrik 01-25-2012 11:28 PM

I have ordered my co2 supplies!

Zefrik 01-26-2012 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a picture but it really is terrible. When people say they are bad at taking pictures I laugh because theirs looks perfect compared to mine.:icon_roll

Zefrik 01-26-2012 12:30 AM

I am going to use my Marineland H.O.T. Magnum instead of the fluval as I have it on another tank. Do you think this will work well with a planted tank? I had it on my 55 gallon cichlid tank but I am getting rid of them so I took it and put an old hob on. I will wash it out to it is pretty gross.

Zefrik 01-26-2012 12:34 AM

I am using these old cube tables for now. They are pretty solid so I think they will be fine. I also used to have a huge tv on it and it was fine for years so I am keeping my fingers crossed. The tank is also not in the nicest looking area but it will have to do.

keilatan 01-26-2012 01:48 AM

I think the tank looks fine and the light fixture is nice, too.

Zefrik 01-26-2012 04:20 PM

I am working on taking down my cichlid tank so I might move the 29 to a better location.

Zefrik 01-26-2012 09:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I moved the tank. I am starting to fill it now. I am using 50% Tap and %50 percent RO/DI. I cleaned the magnum out and got my co2 diffusr in. I still don't have a heater or my co2 equipment.

Zefrik 01-26-2012 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am really tight on money after my co2 equipment purchase so I will be using some plants from my other tanks. I have an emersed setup in a 10 gallon that I am growing a few plants and not having to worry about algae and co2.

Zefrik 01-26-2012 09:56 PM

I have some Rotala, Ludwigia, Bacopa, some java lace fern, and one anubias. I am planning on getting some Dwarf Baby Tears soon.

Zefrik 01-26-2012 09:59 PM

Will Seachem Flourish be enough for now for dosing?

Zefrik 01-28-2012 03:43 AM

I have one 10,000k bulb and 1 actinic right now. I will get a 6700k to replace the actinic. I going to probably not have much of a hard scape. I have a small peice of driftwood I boiled today and have added it to the tank and I also have some smooth river stones. I will put pictures up later. I really want to have a HC carpet. For fish I am planning on Penguin Tetras or Neon Tetras and Ottos.

Zefrik 01-29-2012 08:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have added a few rocks and a piece of small driftwood. I have had the water and filter running for a few days now and I have added 2 giant danios to start the cycle. I also started getting clipping of plants from my other tanks and started planting.

Zefrik 01-29-2012 08:57 PM

I have ordered 3 pots of Dwarf Baby Tears, Needle Leaf Ludwigia and 1 pot of micro sword. I have been thinking about what fish to put in and I think I have an idea. Let me make a list.

- 12 - Black Neon Tetras
- 6 - Otocinlus
- 2 - German Blue Rams

I am not 100% sure yet though

Zefrik 01-29-2012 08:58 PM

:bounce:I should also be getting co2 stuff tommorow!:bounce: