The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hawaii (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   moving (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16081)

Zach987 03-28-2005 08:20 PM

moving

Are there any clubs around?

KrazyK 03-29-2005 05:45 PM

What island you moving to? I've been on Oahu for three years, haven't found any clubs but honestly haven't really been looking real hard. Can't import any plants so the only way to get them is through the LFS's. The good news is the stores have been getting better at getting a large variety of plants in stock. I only run a 2.5 gallon nano so its somewhat hard to find plants for my aquarium.
Good Luck

Kevin

Zach987 03-30-2005 09:24 PM

I am going to be moving to Manoa.

What is the diffrence if a LFS imports them in? or can I get a LFS to import the plants I want. Another question, where can I find a list of rules to what I can and can't bring wth me?
Thanks for any help

KrazyK 03-31-2005 10:27 PM

Hawaii has the most strict rules on importation than I have ever seen. Some LFS's will be cool with you and order whatever they can legally import for you. Simply put, if you bring anything alive or that might become alive ( such as seeds) it will be confiscated by customs. They are getting better but honestly Hawaii cares more about whats coming into their island and not whats going on within their island. Just my personal opinion. For fules and regulations talk to Hawaii's Dept. of Agriculture. They might be able to shed some light on the subject for you or tell you about some loop holes. I know when I first got here I really wanted to start my reef tank up again. Problem is there are no imports of corals what so ever. Some people some how still get their hands on them but not sure how. The only loop hole I found was if you get a lisence for studying the growth of corals and then you have to submit your findings to someone every so often. It was just too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. The Waikiki Aquarium is the best place to go if you want to get lost in some reef tanks.

Gook Luck

Kevin

Zach987 04-01-2005 05:22 AM

Man, I need to find a place to collect on the island then. I was looking at the local flora and did see a few interesting species.
So what are the selections at the stores? angels, discus, rams, etc...?

KrazyK 04-01-2005 07:12 AM

There is actually some neat fish in the stores. Angels, Discus, Rams, puffers, tetra-galore, and other varied types. There are also saltwater fish stores if you have marine aquariums or want to try one. Fish aren't too expensive here since they are caught locally. The biggest crutch for the hobby here is plant selection and variety. Its pretty much the same anywhere you go.

Kevin

Honolulufishy 04-03-2005 11:28 AM

If you're going to be on Oahu, the Honolulu Aquarium Society, which has been around for a while, meets on the first Friday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at the Kuhio Elementary School cafetorium. Although I'm not a very active member, I try to go to meetings when I can -- they usually have a monthly presentation and an auction. There's also a monthly newsletter, but it's kind of sparse.

If you're a saltwater aquarist, joining the Friends of the Waikiki Aquarium (I think it's $40/year) entitles you to fill up your buckets from their filtered sea water tap.

Regarding imports, if you check the Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture (start at www.hawaii.gov), you can find a pdf list of allowed fish/plant imports. A lot of people complain about the restrictions, but Hawaii being isolated islands, can't be compared with the (lack of) import restrictions for mainland states. Otherwise, alien species tend to pummel the native fauna if they take hold here. I try to maintain some minimum environmental sensitivity :tongue:

Finally, there are a number of pet stores of varying quality and size, but my personal favorite is Pets Plus on Ward Avenue, where the staff is friendly as well as knowledgeable.

Aloha,
Honolulufishy

spleen93 04-04-2005 08:13 AM

Probably the best saltwater store is Modern Pet Center on Makaloa. They occ. will have sponges, zoanthids, and feather dusters in their invert tanks though nothing much more interesting from the standpoint of a reef tank will be found since you can't import inverts. They do get the most interesting fish in, locally caught as well as brought in from LA (the irony of it all).

Actually, if you check the Dept of Agriculture website, the list of plants only lists restricted plants, not allowed plants. The default assumption being, if it's not on the restricted list, then it's allowed so you should be able to bring in other plants that the local stores don't carry. Swords, wisteria, water sprite, ludwigia, crypts, microswords, elodea, anubias are commonly found in fish stores here. But glosso is nowhere to be found.

A beautiful plant tank setup in a store can be found at the Petland in Kahala. Great landscaping and a gorgeous riccia lawn. I always spend about 5 minutes in front of the tank every time I'm in there. :)

Spleen

candybandits 04-07-2005 03:02 AM

The selection of plants seems to be the same at all the fish stores. But Petland Kahala seems to always have a better selection. You can always mail order for plants if you can't find them locally.

Honolulufishy - Do you know if the pet store down the street from Pets Plus has fish or plants.

Ben

Zach987 04-07-2005 05:07 AM

Alright so this works, I can bring glosso and make a killing :), well as much as I hate to do it I am not going to ship my tanks there it would cost a fortune, UH isn't going to be paying for the move. I have donated them to a local communnity center and my big tank is going to be in long term storage at my parents house. Thanks for all the advise, I think this will be enough of a start. I am very interested in the Honolulu Aquarium Society, so thanks for the heads up about them.

Thanks for all the help

spleen93 04-07-2005 05:25 AM

Ben - which fish store are you referring to?

Spleen

candybandits 04-07-2005 08:31 AM

Heading towards Blaisdel from Pets Plus it's on your right hand side. I think it's called Naturally Pets. Drove by it and it looked to be mostly dog stuff. Might give it a try tomorrow.

Ben

spleen93 04-08-2005 09:08 AM

Let us know how it is!

Spleen

Zach987 04-19-2005 08:56 PM

totally off subject

But does anyone know of a decent place around UH manoa, I just found out that faculty housing has a 6 month waiting list.

Thanks for anything
Zach

spleen93 04-20-2005 06:42 AM

Sorry, no. Housing is particularly bad around Manoa - expensive too. You might want to look outside of Manoa for possibilities - the Makiki area, St Louis Heights area, even the Kaimuki area might be alternatives (you'll need a bike, moped, or car to get to campus or prepare to walk a bit)

Spleen