The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/100-low-tech-forum/)
-   -   From clown puke to ozark glades (10 gal, low tech) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/100-low-tech-forum/160754-clown-puke-ozark-glades-10-gal-low-tech.html)

calebkraft 01-10-2012 06:10 PM

From clown puke to ozark glades (10 gal, low tech)
 
I have this 10 gallon setup that is currently in full clown puke mode.

I'd like to transform it to something a little prettier to keep me sane during the winter. I'm considering emulating our local landscape a bit instead of going the traditional route.

Here's the current state:
http://i.imgur.com/w2x54.jpg
Here's my quick mockup:
http://i.imgur.com/SAzqq.jpg


Plants:
tall stuff (emulating tall grass)= ?
short stuff (emulating short grass)= ?
considering doing moss on the creek bed.

I should be able to do med/high light but would like to stay low tech. I don't mind dropping in some ferts, but I'm not planning on doing C02.

Any suggestions for plants? The substrate will obviously not be able to be super thick where the soil meets the rock cliffs... should this pose a problem?

calebkraft 01-10-2012 06:15 PM

Inspiration on the grass
http://i.imgur.com/3heAR.jpg

TheJadeShrimp 01-10-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calebkraft (Post 1669780)
Plants:
tall stuff (emulating tall grass)= ?
short stuff (emulating short grass)= ?
considering doing moss on the creek bed.

Any suggestions for plants? The substrate will obviously not be able to be super thick where the soil meets the rock cliffs... should this pose a problem?

Looks nice! I like it. Dwarf Hairgrass Belem and the regular dwarf Hairgrass.

PinoyBoy 01-10-2012 06:36 PM

+1 to the belem and hairgrass. The belem is shorter and the hairgrass can get as tall as you want. Narrow leaf java fern and vals of somekind might be an option, but the blades might be too thick.

calebkraft 01-10-2012 06:59 PM

Think hairgrass will grow OK without C02? I'm fine with it growing slowly, I just want it to be healthy.

I'm not stuck on having the grass, I might be tempted to go with the easiest green carpet I can make work low tech.

TheJadeShrimp 01-10-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calebkraft (Post 1669842)
Think hairgrass will grow OK without C02? I'm fine with it growing slowly, I just want it to be healthy.

I'm not stuck on having the grass, I might be tempted to go with the easiest green carpet I can make work low tech.

It will be fine. Some put it in a Unfilter unheated really low tech bowl. That is what I am going to do with DHG. Newman has some in his bowl currently.

calebkraft 01-10-2012 07:30 PM

Great! I forgot to mention, this will probably be a shrimp only tank. I might drop in a single fish or possibly two at some point, but the goal is a shrimp habitat.

I wish there were more inverts to play with, but crawfish are aggressive. I might find some friendly bugs to put in there like dafnia. Still researching.

tonytrout2001@hotmail.com 01-10-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calebkraft (Post 1669894)
Great! I forgot to mention, this will probably be a shrimp only tank. I might drop in a single fish or possibly two at some point, but the goal is a shrimp habitat.

I wish there were more inverts to play with, but crawfish are aggressive. I might find some friendly bugs to put in there like dafnia. Still researching.

Self-cloning crays are a peaceful, vegetarian crayfish that only get to around 3". Mine is a really awesome blue color and is great to watch in my community tank. They are kind of expensive initially, but are better-looking then shrimp, IMO.

calebkraft 01-10-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com (Post 1669957)
Self-cloning crays are a peaceful, vegetarian crayfish that only get to around 3". Mine is a really awesome blue color and is great to watch in my community tank. They are kind of expensive initially, but are better-looking then shrimp, IMO.

oh wow... man. this makes me think. It says they're very plant destructive. I'd have to re-plan my tank

calebkraft 01-10-2012 08:53 PM

oooh, illegal in missouri as of March 2011. I tend to ignore most laws based off nonsense, but invasive species is a fairly important issue here (as opposed to zoning, for instance).

msjinkzd 01-10-2012 08:54 PM

consider Cambarellus shufeldtii or Cambarellus patzcuarensis, 1-1.5", peaceful, shrimp safe, plant safe

calebkraft 01-10-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msjinkzd (Post 1669995)
consider Cambarellus shufeldtii or Cambarellus patzcuarensis, 1-1.5", peaceful, shrimp safe, plant safe

It is very tempting. With the design above, it would be easy to add some pvc hiding spots in between some rocks.

calebkraft 01-11-2012 05:00 PM

Picked up the organic soil and some flagstone today. Not sure when I'll be able to get started on it though.

AesopRocks247 01-11-2012 09:17 PM

You should try some dwarf sagatteria too

Brian10962001 01-13-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AesopRocks247 (Post 1671641)
You should try some dwarf sagatteria too

Just a warning, dwarf sag won't stay dwarf in a low tech tank with low light. It will grow massive foot long leaves, that melt and die. It's my second least favorite plant (anacharis being the first).


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.