The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   North Carolina (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Good LFS in Raleigh area? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160413)

bk10 01-08-2012 01:44 AM

Good LFS in Raleigh area?
 
Seems sort of limited especially for plants. Any suggestions?

fishsticks 01-09-2012 02:23 AM

Petpad in Cary but not many plants and Triangle Tropicals in Durham. They post weekly updates to arrivals on their website. The best bet is to use the Swap'n'Shop forum right here for great prices and fantastic variety.

bk10 01-10-2012 02:11 AM

I'll have to check those out. I've been using Animal Supply House in Garner. They've been able to order any fish I was looking for but are short on plants.

if_fishes_were_wishes 02-19-2012 02:02 PM

I'm wondering too...moving there from Virginia Beach where I will be leaving the amazing Animal Jungle (best plant/fish variety around!).

JCoxRocks 02-26-2012 03:45 PM

For fish, your best bet is Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest. For plants, just order from the S&S.

J

if_fishes_were_wishes 03-15-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCoxRocks (Post 1744402)
For fish, your best bet is Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest. For plants, just order from the S&S.

J

Thank you! I'm missing Animal Jungle in Va. Beach terribly!

Jim_PA 03-20-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by if_fishes_were_wishes (Post 1773775)
Thank you! I'm missing Animal Jungle in Va. Beach terribly!

Check out The Fish Room, up on capital, they have small selection of freshwater, I have bought a few things from them. They are also have a 2nd store that going to open in a few weeks in Cary.

if_fishes_were_wishes 03-20-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_PA (Post 1781654)
Check out The Fish Room, up on capital, they have small selection of freshwater, I have bought a few things from them. They are also have a 2nd store that going to open in a few weeks in Cary.

Thank you very much...I'll check that store out too :)

carolinyens 04-15-2012 11:35 AM

Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest in the odd ball painted building(dont know why they painted it those colors it looks like the early 90s threw up on the place) is prolly your best bet. Triangle Tropical Fish seems to be on a decline. Not sure whats goin on in there but there used to be so much stuff in there for such a small space it was mind blowing. Now not so much. I believe there is a place near Triangle Town Center not in there but I think near where the Best Buy is. Its mediocre. There used to be a super badass LFS near the chucky cheese on US1 but it moved years ago to somewhere else down the road and I believe they went under new mgmt and changed their name. If that place was anything like it was near the chucky cheese then thats where you really wanna go. Im sure someone on here knows the place and will chime in

Jim_PA 04-20-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinyens (Post 1820183)
Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest in the odd ball painted building(dont know why they painted it those colors it looks like the early 90s threw up on the place) is prolly your best bet. Triangle Tropical Fish seems to be on a decline. Not sure whats goin on in there but there used to be so much stuff in there for such a small space it was mind blowing. Now not so much. I believe there is a place near Triangle Town Center not in there but I think near where the Best Buy is. Its mediocre. There used to be a super badass LFS near the chucky cheese on US1 but it moved years ago to somewhere else down the road and I believe they went under new mgmt and changed their name. If that place was anything like it was near the chucky cheese then thats where you really wanna go. Im sure someone on here knows the place and will chime in

The place by chucky cheese closed down a while ago. The one by best buy is the Fish Room. They just opened 2nd location in Cary, I went this past weekend. I thought was very nice and had a good selection. Aquarium Outfitters is nice as well, and always can find that odd fish you might be looking for, only problem is they seem to be priced on the high side, nothing really marked on tanks for fish prices, but the have large selection.

if_fishes_were_wishes 05-12-2012 03:37 PM

Looks like Aquarium Outfitters is closed! Good thing I'll be visiting my mom in Va. Beach so I still have access to Animal Jungle. Makes me sad I can't find a good store with great prices and a large selection of plants and fish here.

2drtahoe4x4 05-12-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by if_fishes_were_wishes (Post 1858939)
Looks like Aquarium Outfitters is closed! Good thing I'll be visiting my mom in Va. Beach so I still have access to Animal Jungle. Makes me sad I can't find a good store with great prices and a large selection of plants and fish here.

Aquarium Outfitters is very much still open. Was just in there yesterday. You might have ran across their old website that is closed but the store is still open and they have a new website http://www.aquariumoutfitterscarolina.com/Home.html. Although the website is lacking majorly compared to the variety of fish they actually have in store.

if_fishes_were_wishes 05-13-2012 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2drtahoe4x4 (Post 1858962)
Aquarium Outfitters is very much still open. Was just in there yesterday. You might have ran across their old website that is closed but the store is still open and they have a new website http://www.aquariumoutfitterscarolina.com/Home.html. Although the website is lacking majorly compared to the variety of fish they actually have in store.

I must've done just that when I searched for them - the site said they had shut down. Thank you for the update! I really want to find a good fish/ plant store here :)

mrhappyrotter 08-07-2012 01:49 AM

The place with the most plants is usually Triangle Tropical Fish in Durham. They've got a new website, www.triangletropicalfishnc.com that lists the new stuff they get in stock. Sometimes you find some pretty neat little gems there that you'd normally have to order online, like less common crypt and anubias species.

Raleigh has The Fish Room, but it's focus is mostly saltwater and the freshwater plant selection, while nice, is limited. Wake Forest has Aquarium Outfitters. Also a nice place, though I find the plants to be a little pricey.

Gris 08-09-2012 01:46 PM

I'd be weary of the petpad in Cary. The one time I went there almost every tank was heavily infested with Black Brush Algae. If it is no longer then great, but I don't know how they could have gotten rid of that much BBA over the course of a few months.

Source: I stupidly bought a bunch of java moss and riccia from them. Quarantined it and tried to bleach dip it but I still had a tank full of BBA.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.