The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/)
-   -   Sayurasem's 10 Gallon Journal (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/151341-sayurasems-10-gallon-journal.html)

sayurasem 10-14-2011 03:40 AM

Sayurasem's 10 Gallon Journal

4 Attachment(s)
October 10 2011

Dimension: 10G
Light: 2 x 14Watts CFL Odyssea 2x 18 Watts T5HO
Substrate: 20lb Eco-Complete + 4.4lb Fluval Stratum + 4.4lb Fluval Stratum
Hard Scape: Seiryu Stones ~17lb
Photo Period Hours: 6am - 6pm (12 hours/ day) 10am - 8pm (10 hours/ day)

Comments/ Concerns/ Critics/ Opinions are welcome!
This is my first time emersed setup.

Cokers 10-14-2011 03:51 AM

hmmm looks interesting right about now

Capsaicin_MFK 10-14-2011 04:12 AM

I see this in your future! Started this 10g the same way as you. Good luck!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...1_DSCF2759.jpg

sayurasem 10-16-2011 12:57 AM

droolss O.O

btw how many pots of HC you started with? and how long I have to wait until flooding time?

sayurasem 10-18-2011 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
October 17, 2011 (week 1)

So it seems back row HC melted. Leafs turning bright green/yellow. Not much growing in the past week. The tank smells :/

Capsaicin_MFK 10-19-2011 09:59 PM

Is that Aquasoil? I would drop the water level down farther, like maybe 1/4". Also, make sure to vent the air once or twice a week.

I had about 4 pots worth of HC and planted randomly throughout the tank. I waited about 3 months to fill it up.

sayurasem 10-20-2011 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK (Post 1558921)
Is that Aquasoil? I would drop the water level down farther, like maybe 1/4". Also, make sure to vent the air once or twice a week.

I had about 4 pots worth of HC and planted randomly throughout the tank. I waited about 3 months to fill it up.

No its 20lb Eco-complete, so should I lower my water still? too floody?

Whats vent the air once or twice a week? like open the saran wrap the whole day? I did poke many holes with a pencil on the wrap like 15 holes.
And mist the whole tank once a day.

And my temp is hot... because of my light? (2 x 14 Watts CFL 6500k bulbs)
** thermometer is showing the air temperature inside the tank. Notice the thermometer is not under water but hanging in the air.

Capsaicin_MFK 10-20-2011 09:23 PM

Temp might be a little high. I have saran wrap on my tank without any holes and once or twice a week I open a corner and kind of exchange the air out by blowing into the tank and pushing down on the wrap to let air out. This process takes about 2 minutes at most. By having holes in the wrap, you are causing humidity to escape, which can cause the plants to dry out.

Yes, I would lower the water more than what you have pictured.

sayurasem 11-04-2011 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updates!

HC... ehh.... Not spreading, instead its growing upwards...

New lights today, 2x 18 watts T5HO from Ebay... yay!

So I'm going to give this HC another week with this new light. Lets see how it go.

*btw when should I start flooding the tank? Is the roots deep/ strong enough by now?

Daximus 11-04-2011 02:45 AM

I so want a carpeted tank...good luck! I'll be watching!:biggrin:

HypnoticAquatic 11-04-2011 03:27 AM

if your doing it dry start why not let it fill in befor you flood it? it will grow faster with it not being flooded so if there is no rush like fish coming in the mail or anything simaler then let it get full imo. haveing it vented helps bring in new air which isnt bad! you just have to make sure it doesnt dry out. are u doing co2 on this tank? if so have u thought about keeping the seranwrap on there and adding co2 to help it along even more?

btw i like that u thought outside the box an had the tank tilted so it wasnt ½ submerged ½dry. id really wait though on flooding it unless you have to rush it.

sayurasem 11-04-2011 03:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoticAquatic (Post 1580371)
if your doing it dry start why not let it fill in befor you flood it? it will grow faster with it not being flooded so if there is no rush like fish coming in the mail or anything simaler then let it get full imo. haveing it vented helps bring in new air which isnt bad! you just have to make sure it doesnt dry out. are u doing co2 on this tank? if so have u thought about keeping the seranwrap on there and adding co2 to help it along even more?

btw i like that u thought outside the box an had the tank tilted so it wasnt ½ submerged ½dry. id really wait though on flooding it unless you have to rush it.

yup I use CO2, with saran wrap and poked 4 holes. (1 hole co2 tubing, 3 holes for circulation). I turn off my co2 at night/ lights off.

sayurasem 11-11-2011 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boring update Day 30

Idk if there even any growth, why HC grow so slow on me.
2x 18w T5HO 12 hours a day. no more co2, keep forgetting to turn it off at night.

Tips would be appreciated big time!

sayurasem 11-17-2011 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 36. Flood! n cycle
So I'm going to cycle this with 5 neon tetras.
Lets see how it goes

Patriot 11-17-2011 11:07 AM

I'll be watching