The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim Pro 2 ?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  m.lemay 
#1 ·
I have a 75 gallon planted tank that I'm currently filtering with an Emperor 400, you can see the pictures in the Photo section. I've been considering switching to a canister type filter because I don't like the fact that I have to use a carbon filled cartridge in the Emperor. I've been told that carbon removes a lot of the trace elements that my plants could be using.I've been looking at the Eheim Pro 2 series models 2026 or 2028. My Questions are:
Does anyone have one of these filters?
Do you like it?
Is it worth the money?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
:bounce::bounce:

#2 ·
Wow...your question is very similar to my situation. I too had a Emperor 400 on my 55gal tank. Although it did its job very well, I didn't like it for the very reason that you mentioned. I also didn't like it because the cartridges were very expensive. One other thing that I didn't like was the bio wheels seem to create thousands of tiny micro bubbles that would float around in the tank. This may be benifcial, but I found them unsightly.

Also you are right. Except for certain situations (such as removing medications), carbon should not be used in a planted tank. As you say, the carbon will remove certain trace elements that are benificial to your plants.

Well.....I got rid of the Emperor filter, and bought a ViaAqua 300 canister filter form Dr Foster & Smith's Pet Warehouse for just 59 dollars! The 300 is suppose to be for 20-40 gal tanks, but yet it has room for 3 liters of media and has a 210 gph flow rate. Thats almost recycling my tanks water 4 times per hour, so I figured it was big enough. (they do make larger models for a few dallors more)

I've only had this filter for a month and a half, but so far, I'm extremely pleased with it. My only slight critisim is the primming can be a little tricky, and the quick release connectors could have been designed a little better. But at that price, its hard to quibble.

As far the Eheim Pro II, as it turns out, I may be purchasing one of these too. I'm in the process of setting up 125 gal show tank, and I want everything to be the best. From everything I've read, Eheim is the Cadilac of cannister filters and last for ever.

I don't know where you plan to buy your filter, but I highly recomend the above mentioned catalog retailer. You can order a free catalog here.

Catalog

You can also order on line, but the catalog has more product choices. I've ordered from them many times, and have never been disappointed in their service. Also, their prices will always be cheaper than your local pet store, even when you include shipping.

By the way, their price for the Eheim Pro II 2028 with free media is $215.99. (2026 $165.99) I will say, Big Al's catalog has it for $199.00, but I've never done business with them.

Anyway, I hope this post will be of help to you. :)

#3 ·
I've only had Fluval canisters and while they are quality units that work reliably for many years, they are a PAIN to prime when it comes time for cleaning. Therefore, I tend not to clean it for months, allowing it to become a phosphate factory. With the plant growth I'm seeing, the plants consume the PO4 rapidly, but in moderate to low growth tanks, phosphate levels cause BBH and hair algae problems.

Canisters have their pros and cons.

I use a power filter on my smaller planted tank. I trimmed the lip on the return "waterfall" to let water drop straight into the tank, rather than deflect to cause surface agitation. I don't run any carbon in the cartridges.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the replys. Tom, I order stuff from Drs Foster & Smith all the time. They have a great selection and thier service is top notch. In CT, I usually get my order within 4 days. I've never ordered from Big Als yet either, but thier prices look awesome. I know that a canister is definitely the way to go, but I wanna make sure that I'm getting something I'm gonna be happy with. So, if there's anybody else out there that can give me some input on canisters, the Eheim Pro 2 in particular,I'm all ears. I'll entertain any canister filter though. So keep posting!!:cool:

#5 ·
I remember reading somewhere what was a good substitute to use to replace carbon in your filter but I can't remember what it was to save my soul, does anyone remember. I'm about to clean my fluval and was thinking of giving it a try.:bounce:

#6 ·
I found the answer myself.... use "white diamond amonia neutralizing crystals", it works like carbon without hurting your plants.:hehe:

#7 ·
I am also setting up a new tank (55 gal) , and also like to shop online with Drs Foster & Smith. After studying all the adds I ordered the Filstar XP3 which is on sale for $92 something at this time. It seems to have the most "bang for you buck".:hehe:

#8 ·
I think I'll be going with the Filstar xp3 also from Dr Foster. Like you, I did some research and found it to have the best features for the buck and I like the zero bypass feature. I also checked with some of the other boards and found that most people who had them really liked it. For $92 it looks like a winner.:bounce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.