The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pressurized co2 is back up and running.....

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ginnie5 
#1 ·
got in the clippard valves and got my tank refilled. Checked every connection with soapy water this time. You would not believe the leaks I found! But they are all stoppped now. It ran all night with no problems too. Hopefully it will continue to do so. Those Clippard valves really do make difference. 8)

#2 ·
Actually, while they're better than plastic valves, quite a few of us have had lots of problems with the Clippard needle valves. Read over on the AquaBotanic forum and you'll see. People are looking at $80 monitoring valves and whatnot. I for one have had lots of trouble getting my Clippard valve to sit still. It still won't. :(

#3 ·
I think that people having problems with Clippard valves are in the minority. I can only think of maybe two-three people that have had problems with them. The APD is full of people using them and you never see problems. I have sent out at least a dozen and know many people locally using them and only one person that I know or helped is having a problem.

#4 ·
Good points, Rex. You know, ginnie, he's probably definitely right about my case being an isolated one. I just still have it fresh in my mind how people on the AquaBotanic board are looking at $100 alternatives to the $15 Clippard Needle Valve because they're having the same problems I am. I think it scared me pretty bad... :(

#5 ·
and using two valves. My frustration level with this was at its max. I wanted to set it up and not worry about it anymore. Now the only thing I have to be concerned about is the tubing staying on the needle valves. I think I'm going to get some sealant or something to make sure it does.

#8 ·
STAT 007 said:
Actually, while they're better than plastic valves, quite a few of us have had lots of problems with the Clippard needle valves. Read over on the AquaBotanic forum and you'll see. People are looking at $80 monitoring valves and whatnot. I for one have had lots of trouble getting my Clippard valve to sit still. It still won't. :(
IMO and IME the problems associated with using the Clippard needle valves stem from not matching the pressure from the regulator to the valve correctly. Some regulators work fine with 5-10psi, I can only get a stable bubble rate by turning the regulator pressure up to 30psi. I feed two aquariums, a 55G and a 75G and never touch the needle valves between refills of the CO2 cylinder. I can't imagine a better needle valve regardless of the price. Finding the correct mix of pressure and needle valve can be a bit of trial and error but once achieved the settings should be almost maintenance free.

#9 ·
>> I feed two aquariums, a 55G and a 75G and never touch the >>needle valves between refills of the CO2 cylinder.

That is the point I want to get to! I'm feeding two tanks also. A 38g and a 75g. So far so good. My psi is is set at 8 my lowest setting. The first valve is almost completely closed and the clippard is used for fine tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.