The Planted Tank Forum banner

New here

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jmcc000 
#1 ·
Hey Guys. I just found these message boards and there great. Im new to planted tanks but not new to fish. I have over the years bread many FW fish and Reptiles. Im over in Merritt Island so im not to far from you Orlando guys. I used to be a member of ORCA its a reef club over there. I would like to try and get over to one of your planted tank meetings, let me know when you have another. Are there any others in the Brevard area?
Jason

#2 ·
Welcome! We haven't officially had any aquatic plant meetings around Orlando yet. I've met up with one member and am planning on meeting another this Sunday at Ocean Blue aquarium around 1 PM. If you want some free clippings, stop on over!

Brian.

#3 ·
Welcome jmcc000, glad to have you here. You've definitely come to the right place. This is like the Reef Central of planted tanks 'cept on a MUCH smaller scale :) . Feel free to ask any and all questions you might have, as the only way you'll learn is by asking (or making mistakes, whichever is easiest for you!)....

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Im doing a 37 gallon, and its pretty tall. Im looking into getting Power compacts for it. If i do that do i have to have CO2? Im a little lost on the CO2. I dont really want to get into the high light plants at first maybe just some easy to keep low light plants, any suggestions?
Thanks

#5 ·
Is that the 30" wide tank that is taller than the typical 29g (my first tank)? If so, then it is quite high.

When you state you're going with PCs (which are great by the way), my mind jumps to high tech. You then state no CO2 and low-light plants. So, my mind is a bit unsure of your strategy. Good low light plants would be the Anubias family, Java ferns and Java mosses. Lots of folks have done very creative designs with these plants.

I'd also highly recommend taking a read through rexgrigg.com. He's got a nice, no-nonsense overview of planted tanks and what all is required.

Keep those questions comin'!

#6 · (Edited)
Yes it is one of the 30 " wide taller than the 29 gallon tank. OK i have been talking to some people that come to the pet store i go to often. They all told me that i should do the PC lighting because the height of the tank. Im just wanting to have some swords and Java plants in this tank. If those are both low light plants as i have read they are i do not think i need PC lights or a CO2. Am i right by thinking this? From the salt water reef tanks i have had i needed PC and even the halides. Im not going to do what i did with the reefs and jump in and send a ton of money just so i can have all the different corals, i just want to start off with these easy plants see how i do and work my way up. I will go read up on that site and see what i can get from it, thanks for pointing me to it.
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.