The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Massachusetts (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Survey: where do you get your rocks in Mass? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144856)

Dave Allen 08-10-2011 09:53 PM

Survey: where do you get your rocks in Mass?
 
Hey all,

Since getting into planted tanks, I find myself always looking for interesting rocks: at the beach, on the highway, etc. I'd love to find a good source of rocks for a few iwagumi projects, but there is no way I'd pay to have ADA-style rocks shipped.

So I'm wondering:
Where does everyone get their rocks in and around the Bay State?

And are you willing to share your source?

caronsd 08-10-2011 10:35 PM

I have a great secret source along the water! Email me and I'll send you some pictures, if you like them let me know what you're looking for and we can trade or something :) caronsd68@yahoo.com

leo1234 08-14-2011 01:35 AM

There is a landscaping place on highland ave in salem that has a nice selection of rocks and at a good price.

Sparky007 01-11-2012 09:46 PM

Not sure if it's legal but I collected some Granite from the Sheep's fold park in Medford. New England is one giant hunk of granite so I don't think they will miss a few stones. They don't' seem to be touching the PH/KH/GH at all and the shrimps are all over them. They are fractured and not water smoothed, but I like the way they look.

peter_l 01-12-2012 05:57 PM

Garden stores, side of the road, open lots...

Depends on what kind of rocks you are looking for.

Drewsplantednutz 02-07-2012 12:11 PM

Wachusett Reservoir has some of the strangest rocks. I use them with my bonsai trees. They would look good with iwagsmi. That's if your in the central part of mass. I fish there a lot in the summer

Jacey 02-26-2012 11:28 PM

i am in walking distance of both Petsmart, Homedepot and the previously mentioned landscaping place....but my little secret is Devereux Beach in Marblehead the rocks are beautifully shaped, beautifully colored and free

psalm18.2 02-26-2012 11:46 PM

Come up to NH, we have tons of rocks.

shortsboy 02-27-2012 01:02 AM

Really? The Granite State has rock?

Dave Allen 02-28-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz (Post 1712982)
Wachusett Reservoir has some of the strangest rocks. I use them with my bonsai trees. They would look good with iwagsmi. That's if your in the central part of mass. I fish there a lot in the summer

Do you have any pics?

Dave Allen 02-28-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo1234 (Post 1477882)
There is a landscaping place on highland ave in salem that has a nice selection of rocks and at a good price.

I took a trip up there and walked away with a bag o' rocks for $20 bucks. Great price and some cool quartzite. Unfortunately it was covered in pyrite. Anybody have a rock garden?

bags 02-28-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacey (Post 1745186)
i am in walking distance of both Petsmart, Homedepot and the previously mentioned landscaping place....but my little secret is Devereux Beach in Marblehead the rocks are beautifully shaped, beautifully colored and free

The only south facing beach on the North Shore... great place. Lots of shale and sedimentary, you've got to soak the pants off of it for freshwater use however.

On the neck there is a small pond you can hike to, that has several sizable snapping turtles and some very large red carp. The turtles are human savvy so you have to lay in the grass for them to come up.

Jacey 02-29-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bags (Post 1748508)
The only south facing beach on the North Shore... great place. Lots of shale and sedimentary, you've got to soak the pants off of it for freshwater use however.

On the neck there is a small pond you can hike to, that has several sizable snapping turtles and some very large red carp. The turtles are human savvy so you have to lay in the grass for them to come up.

:hihi: yeah, i usually soak for three days freeze for two and then dry...its excessive, but i wouldn't risk any other

leo1234 02-29-2012 04:17 PM

I go the that beach all the time for fishing.

bags 03-12-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo1234 (Post 1750115)
I go the that beach all the time for fishing.

On the harbour side closer to the mainland, and about 35 yards offshore I used to drop those multi hook jigs for flounder off of a skiff and pull up 4-5 at a time, then go sell them at the Fish store (food not pets) that was down at the Public Landing in old town and sell them for 10 cents a pop (mid/late 60's). It's funny how well you can remember stuff from so long ago and forget to take out the trash today....


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.