The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Low Tech Forum (
-   -   Another NPT or D's Dirt Tank (

wkndracer 07-25-2011 03:34 PM

Another NPT or D's Dirt Tank
After testing coal slag blasting media (Black Beauty) in my 20L quarantine I've decided to continue using it.
The last $1/gal sale saw me buying more tanks (:icon_roll LMAO that's a surprize, right!)
Anyhoot my last build included MTS in the plan for one of the tanks but that didn't work out as hoped.

After the better part of six months wet/dry the vast majority of the organics are broken down to mush and this was used setting up this tank. Nothing else was added.

Single day setup using all the water, plants and other materials from the 20 long setting up the new 29g.

1 1/2" of mud pudding.

Capped with the black grit and planted. The crypts will fill this tank before long I'm sure.

Albinos with a black substrate have nowhere to hide LOL

Founding member in The Fraternity of Dirt

wkndracer 07-31-2011 07:21 PM

2wks wet
Two weeks into the tank change the cycle was saved using everything form the 20L so I think I'm good to go.
Haha i did this on purpose but sure to be hating this tank! why??
Black base, black fish.

Placed white paper behind the tank which helped slightly.
Tannins from the soil are present but not overpowering.
A single WC of 20g was done 5 days after the reset.

Here live in the room I like it but trying to capture my DDSV in a camera image has always been a PITA and the black sub compounds that, but I really like the fish and the sub is better for black effect than Eco Complete.
The cost savings simply can't be argued with.
The point of the tank change was to add the height for another pair tank and that's what I've done.

Yet to succeed with a spawn the two female DDSV have been pulled from the 110g and placed with males of they're choosing and it's time to put out or get out.:eek5: Receiving a dozen fish from a breeder in Colorado only two were girls :icon_cry: that was strike one, but I kept six in house.

Did get a couple clean pics.

Parameters remained flat for 10 days w/ 0.0 tested in the water so I dosed for NO3 5ppm, PO4 3ppm and trace is added every week.

3 LFBBN, 2 albino cory, 2 DDSV

Hoping black fry pics to will follow.
All here will be watching :icon_eek:.

Ben. 07-31-2011 07:24 PM

nice pictures, I like the joke about the cories haha

wkndracer 08-07-2011 04:25 AM

Getting closer
She's picking, he's pecking, first slate and then anubias leaves and then chasing each other so it won't be long. Tubes are out.

hope this works out

nonconductive 08-09-2011 03:10 PM

woah mike how did i miss this thread

Bahugo 08-09-2011 04:09 PM

I love black angels best of luck!

wkndracer 08-09-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by nonconductive (Post 1472767)
woah mike how did i miss this thread

Bwahahaha! I've been kinda wondering when you'd catch me. Dropped one or two hints here and there hehehe

Originally Posted by Bahugo (Post 1472817)
I love black angels best of luck!

Thanks :smile: have a smaller spawn currently on the slate from late Sunday so we should have wigglers tonight. Only about 7-10 eggs went white so Myrtle is fertile. Guessing the spawn was only about 50-60 overall.

These are DD or double dark. Even caught in a camera flash you can't see any stripes on the fish.

Luck is needed with these I think,, so thanks twice

wkndracer 10-03-2011 05:32 AM

Letting the temperature sit at 76F the angels aren't very exciting but the tank is a huge success if you like them really easy.
Using only those plants that will grow in cave light like anubias, java fern, swas tang, dwarf sag and crypts this tank can't grow algae with only 18wT8 LOL
Seriously slow growth and the tannins are almost over already.
Has me thinking of going ultra low light on another one.
Sorry but I couldn't beat the refection on the FTS, too much light in the house today.

Newest and easiest tank in the house.
2 DDV angels, 2 LF browns, 2 Albino Cory

Bahugo 10-03-2011 05:36 AM

Lol, have you been doing a little spying on your fish at night Mike? *flashlight in-front of tank*

orchidman 10-03-2011 05:39 AM

nice tank mike! those angels sure are black!

nice deer!

wkndracer 10-03-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bahugo (Post 1535664)
Lol, have you been doing a little spying on your fish at night Mike? *flashlight in-front of tank*

nope got the water to cold for em to be doin the nasty at night LOL

Originally Posted by orchidman (Post 1535675)
nice tank mike! those angels sure are black!
nice deer!

Thanks that's the wife's bambi, 220lb. bow buck. She's hoping to pop another one in about two weeks.

The babies from my other pair of DDV's are now +40days and big enough to tell for sure. All the fry look exactly the same (rarely happens) I have standard and veils showing so yes fin size is varied but the velvet black color throughout the fish locked right through to another generation without any rabbits in the woodpile. Proof that both parents are double dose blacks. (yes I'm happy) straight fins and good ventral length without being able to spot a single cull yet (another rarity).

cableguy69846 10-03-2011 07:27 AM

Wow dude. Those are some pretty fish. And I'll bet that deer tasted might nice. Lol.

I like this tank. Nice and easy. What kind of crypts are those?

nonconductive 10-03-2011 07:19 PM

hahahah mike's been peepin when the lights are off. those are some seriously nice double blacks tho.

wkndracer 10-11-2011 05:37 AM

Maybe I should quit changing water on the dirt tanks.

OK D, I'll admit it, this tank needs a background upgrade.

cableguy69846 10-11-2011 05:56 AM

Nice lookin tank man. What size is that?

And I vote you paint it black.